starting strength gym

Thread: What did I f*ck up - NLP press

Default What did I f*ck up - NLP press

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Guys,

So, this isn't my first rodeo but I've had a long hiatus and starting from rock bottom....again. Everything was going well and then press suddenly and catastrophically failed.

I'm 31 & 6'2"

Starting lifts...
    Squat - 60kg 3x5
    Bench - 50kg 3x5
    Deadlift 80kg x5
    Press 40kg 3x5
    BW around 190lbs

Recent sessions
    Squat 105kg 3x5
    Press 60kg 3x5
    Deadlift 127.5kg x5

Squat 107.5kg 3x5
    Bench 85kg 3x5
    Deadlift 130kg x5

Squat 110kg 3x5
    Press 61.25kg 5, 3, 2, 2, 2, 1
    Deadlift 132.5kg
    BW 204lbs

Done the programme exactly as stated (maybe could've moved over to powercleans sooner but deadlift are still feeling pretty easy). All other lifts are feeling pretty easy still. 60kg press was a grind and then a complete failure at 61.25kg which was my first micro load. Think I've gotten to around 65kg before any failures on NLP in the past but this was 6 years ago and I'm definitely not the same creature I used to be. The only other thing to note is I've only gone up 2.5kg on deadlifts because of previous back injuries but they're going well.

WTF did I do so wrong to fail this suddenly on the press? In the past I would've just reset 10% and worked back up and maybe eeked a little more out but never much but recently listened to the 'how to NLP' podcast episode. Is this all kosher? Maybe haven't gone full 6k calories but I've still put on 15lbs in around 7 weeks.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Your bodyweight is a huge problem, as is your running up to 60k as a limit work set before you started microloading. Are you wearing a tight belt for presses?

Dang, I thought as much. I wear a pretty tight belt, maybe I could try it tighter. It didn't give me much indication that I was at the limit until the last rep of the last set of 60. I'll reset the press, be in a hurry to put on more BW and microload earlier. I guess I had wrongly put myself in the category of not needing to rapidly gain weight! Thanks Rip.

how long are you resting between sets, you got 5 reps first set, then dropped off fast maybe need more rest between sets.

How did you micro-load 1.25kg?

You didn’t put a single 1.25kg plate on and then press an uneven bar did you?

Currently waiting 4-5 minutes on squats and bench which I will increase as the sets get harder. I was waiting 4+ minutes on press but after the failed second set I only rested 3 minutes as stated in the NLP podcast but I now know I haven't done the program correctly. I've ordered some fractional plates so I can progress in 1kg increments and I will eat more as I did today. Thank you Rip!

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboyleeroy View Post

I assume he has the proper equipment to do this.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Darracq View Post
    how long are you resting between sets, you got 5 reps first set, then dropped off fast maybe need more rest between sets.
    See above.
    I think it's likely a combination of not resting long enough, not eating enough and not micro-loading early enough. Aka NDTP, I don't know how I got here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboyleeroy View Post
    As Rip says, I have some homemade plates.

I didn't but I have thought about it before...