Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
What I'm actually trying to say is that his quack doctor should not have given him diazepam for chronic depression, and that he should be horsewhipped for doing so.
Ah, okay Mark.

For my part, I can say that only once in my life did I take benzodiazepines. The doctor simply prescribed Valium for a week, half a pill at night. According to her, it was to regulate my sleep. (I was suffering from pretty bad neuropathic pain, especially in my legs, and I was having trouble sleeping).

The pill didn't help me fall asleep early at all. And the worst thing is that when I woke up, it was like having drunk half a bottle of wine at night. Feeling of hangover and heavy, bad sleep.

Luckily it was only a week. I considered it stupidity taken from the "manual" that all doctors have. But since I only had to tolerate the Valium "treatment" for a week, I didn't tell him anything.

Doctors sometimes do things that, honestly, I don't know where they get it from. But I don't want to distort the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by tonybanters View Post
His doctor was captured by society and the Pharmaceutical Industrial Complex. At the time, the gentleman in question was just an inconvenience to this doctor and he got him out of the door without doing blood tests or anything to figure out what was actually wrong. Turns out months later the kid was correctly diagnosed with a potassium deficiency that was causing digestive issues which presented as "anxiety" like symptoms. Turns potassium didn't give as much commission as valium.
So that was the problem really... Lazy and inoperative doctor.