starting strength gym

Thread: I’m an imbecile. Pulled abductor?

Default I’m an imbecile. Pulled abductor?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    NLP here, While working my warm up sets I made a very stupid mistake of calculating 65 percent of my working weight but then adding the amount that would get me there to BOTH sides of the bar. I bounced a little harder than usual in the bottom, I assume to not being acclimated because I can’t count, apparently. The next day I was rather sore on my right side and took two days instead of one between work outs. It was better, but still noticeable. I then took three days before a workout. Not necessarily better and definitely noticeable. Anyone experienced this? Is so what was your rehab approach?

Any chance your stance was too wide when this occurred? That's an easy way to put too much stress on the hip musculature. Post a video if you want someone to look at your stance width. Or, it could be that you overloaded it like your first sentence suggests and your stance was just fine. I'll leave the rehab question to someone with more knowledge in this area, like Will or Rip.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgbaker View Post
    NLP here, While working my warm up sets I made a very stupid mistake of calculating 65 percent of my working weight but then adding the amount that would get me there to BOTH sides of the bar. I bounced a little harder than usual in the bottom, I assume to not being acclimated because I can’t count, apparently. The next day I was rather sore on my right side and took two days instead of one between work outs. It was better, but still noticeable. I then took three days before a workout. Not necessarily better and definitely noticeable. Anyone experienced this? Is so what was your rehab approach?
    How did you load up the bar with 130% of what was your planned work set weights for a warmup and not realise something was wrong with your calculations!!

I think the extra days rest may be hurting vs helping the recovery process- over to someone who knows more than me

Take 2 advil + 2 tylenol 3 times a day with food. Keep your time between workouts constant. If necessary take weight off the bar and increase volume. The extreme version of this is the empty bar for 50 reps, but it doesn't sound that bad.

Also, don't calculate your warmups. Just use plates and quarters (45, 95, 135, 185, 225, etc). You cant screw that up.

You were noticeably sore, it started getting better immediately, so you took three days off of training?

This isn't an injury. You didn't get injured. Plenty of us have experienced being "kind of sore", and it immediately improving. We rehabbed it by continuing to train. "Laying off it" is why it isn't improving.

What was your working set and what was the actual weight you ended up squatting, and for how many reps?

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    You were noticeably sore, it started getting better immediately, so you took three days off of training?

This isn't an injury. You didn't get injured. Plenty of us have experienced being "kind of sore", and it immediately improving. We rehabbed it by continuing to train. "Laying off it" is why it isn't improving.

What was your working set and what was the actual weight you ended up squatting, and for how many reps?
    Disagree it wasn’t an injury. I’m familiar with soreness and this is much more akin to a strain. Although I think I agree on your frequency point. My 3 days off was due to going out of town to a retreat.
    My working weight was 215,
    My previous set was 215(.45)≈100 for 5,
    So the next was supposed to be 215(.65)≈140
    And my mistake was I loaded 40 to each side, resulting in 180

Yesterday’s went fine during the session but the muscle was/is very tight and aggravated. I have no issue pushing through; I just don’t want to push through and increase the load when maybe I shouldn’t?

Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
    Take 2 advil + 2 tylenol 3 times a day with food. Keep your time between workouts constant. If necessary take weight off the bar and increase volume. The extreme version of this is the empty bar for 50 reps, but it doesn't sound that bad.

Also, don't calculate your warmups. Just use plates and quarters (45, 95, 135, 185, 225, etc). You cant screw that up.
    Yeah that seems fool proof

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    Any chance your stance was too wide when this occurred? That's an easy way to put too much stress on the hip musculature. Post a video if you want someone to look at your stance width. Or, it could be that you overloaded it like your first sentence suggests and your stance was just fine. I'll leave the rehab question to someone with more knowledge in this area, like Will or Rip.
    It’s possible my stance was too wide, at the time I was working on figuring out what aspect of the technique was forgetting that was resulting more pelvic movement at the bottom than I wanted. So maybe both factors honestly. I’ve since fixed the issue but am still left with the muscle issue that resulted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdcuth View Post
    How did you load up the bar with 130% of what was your planned work set weights for a warmup and not realise something was wrong with your calculations!!

I think the extra days rest may be hurting vs helping the recovery process- over to someone who knows more than me
    Well, I did say I was stupid so…
    It did in fact feel a little heavy, but I figured it was just me feeling/being weak rather than the ridiculous mistake I made.

I think I agree on your frequency point.

Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post

Yeah this seems fool proof

Yeah that seems fool proof
    Probably not, in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Probably not, in this case.
    That is 100% true. Most likely not fool proof enough, I may need to colors and tally marks like a 3rd grader.

starting strength coach development program
    That is 100% true. Most likely not fool proof enough, I may need to colors and tally marks like a 3rd grader.
    I think you have been suitably chastised. Keep doing the NLP exactly as prescribed.