starting strength gym

Thread: Lat Pop

Default Lat Pop

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I was doing pull ups today, and at the bottom of my 4th pull up I felt a pop in what I believe is my lat (left side, a couple inches below the bottom of my rib cage about halfway between my spine and the side of my body). It was very painful for about 30 seconds and caused me to drop off the bar and hunch over. Now it feels a bit uncomfortable generally, is not painful to the touch, but is painful when I flex my core. I am 5'10" and 275 lbs. Here's my last intensity day workout if it matters (2 days ago; I do a few sets of pull ups throughout the work day, which is when this occurred): deads 515x4, squat 480 for two triples, press 205 x4, 2, and bench 315x4. Any thoughts? Is this an injury that needs rest or continued work to heal? Thanks in advance.

We can't see it from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We can't see it from here.
    Well, assuming it is a lat strain or something in that ballpark, what is the best way to rehab?

Something in that ballpark? Do you understand the size of that ballpark?

Honestly, no. Just trying to figure out whether I should suck it up or take it easy. I did a volume session today. Squats were a little uncomfortable at the top (405x5x5). Press was fine (185x5x5). Bench was fine except getting it off the pins was painful (285x5x5). Deadlifts were painful. I couldn't go above 225. Should I give it a week or two on everything or keep going with the lifts that feel okay?

It would be useful to actually KNOW what is wrong with your shoulder. Why is this so difficult for you guys to comprehend?

Moffemoff, this is a case where you need a diagnosis. Your description of the event is of limited value - not because you're you, but because you're a human being. Multiple subjective factors like referred pain are at play, and a hands-on, interactive examination is indicated, especially since, as Rip alluded to earlier, the lat is a HUGE muscle across a vast territory on your body. Different diagnoses will call for different responses, which is why you're not getting direction yet.

Does that help clarify things?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Probably not, Jason.

MRI if it's hurting you. Should give you a good picture. Other then that, if it's asymptomatic let it ride. You stated lat pop, but could it be teres major, infraspinatus, trapezius all of these things are just mm apart. This is why MRIs are very helpful. Just try to rehab it, not like they are going rush you into surgery if you can still pull 500 off the ground.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Moffemoff, this is a case where you need a diagnosis. Your description of the event is of limited value - not because you're you, but because you're a human being. Multiple subjective factors like referred pain are at play, and a hands-on, interactive examination is indicated, especially since, as Rip alluded to earlier, the lat is a HUGE muscle across a vast territory on your body. Different diagnoses will call for different responses, which is why you're not getting direction yet.

It does. I appreciate the substantive response.