starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can I expect?

Default What can I expect?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I guess I just need a bit of encouragement, having been lifting for around 6 months now and making very little progress. Well I did gain 20lb in that time despite a very bad diet and way less protein than 1g per lb of bodyweight. However it is probably not all muscle mass as I did start taking creatine at the start of my lifting journey.

I didn't know much about diet, progressive overload etc hence the lack of progress.

I discovered SS and linear progression recently. I became very motivated to start doing the SS program when I read this article:

The Novice Effect | Mark Rippetoe

I look like Zach Evetts in the first picture. Ok I'm exaggerating, obviously I have more muscle tone due to lifting for 6 months, but I'm still very skinny. I am 6ft and 165lb at the moment. I am trying to get to 200lb as quickly as possible because I know that increasing bodyweight is the only way to increase my lifts quickly.

How long will this take and how do I start the SS program? Also how many calories and protein should I be eating per day? I know Zach Evetts ate 6000+ calories per day + GOMAD. I was on less than 4000 calories for several months, but the problem was I wasn't tracking my weight. I started tracking and realized I wasn't gaining ANY weight whatsoever past 165lb. I then increased to 4000 calories and the weight gain is still very slow. I've been doing this for about 2 weeks and have remained at 75kg. It makes no sense to me where the calories are going. I have been able to increase my squat etc at 5lb per session for a while now but the workouts are tough sometimes. I know this is because I am not eating enough.

Do you have the blue book?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Do you have the blue book?
    No, is that all I will need? If so I will get it as soon as possible.

I know Zach Evetts ate 6000+ calories per day + GOMAD
    Well then...what do you think your next step should be?

Quote Originally Posted by mathgainer View Post
    I guess I just need a bit of encouragement, having been lifting for around 6 months now and making very little progress. Well I did gain 20lb in that time despite a very bad diet and way less protein than 1g per lb of bodyweight. However it is probably not all muscle mass as I did start taking creatine at the start of my lifting journey.

I didn't know much about diet, progressive overload etc hence the lack of progress.

I discovered SS and linear progression recently. I became very motivated to start doing the SS program when I read this article:

I look like Zach Evetts in the first picture. Ok I'm exaggerating, obviously I have more muscle tone due to lifting for 6 months, but I'm still very skinny. I am 6ft and 165lb at the moment. I am trying to get to 200lb as quickly as possible because I know that increasing bodyweight is the only way to increase my lifts quickly.

How long will this take and how do I start the SS program? Also how many calories and protein should I be eating per day? I know Zach Evetts ate 6000+ calories per day + GOMAD. I was on less than 4000 calories for several months, but the problem was I wasn't tracking my weight. I started tracking and realized I wasn't gaining ANY weight whatsoever past 165lb. I then increased to 4000 calories and the weight gain is still very slow. I've been doing this for about 2 weeks and have remained at 75kg. It makes no sense to me where the calories are going. I have been able to increase my squat etc at 5lb per session for a while now but the workouts are tough sometimes. I know this is because I am not eating enough.
    If you are not gaining weight then eat more good food. Force feed yourself if need be, write down what goes into your mouth. Also, if you are gaining 5 pounds a workout at your squat, you are making the proper progress. Your bench will be 2.5 pounds a workout after the first few months. This stuff takes time, if you can take your squat from 155 to 415, that's a successful novice effect. Mind you, you will run this program more then 1x. Phase 3 of this program can last for a while. Once you are no longer a novice this workout will beat you to a point to where you cant recover Monday to Wednesday to Friday. Don't prematurely call yourself advanced novice or intermediate.The grey book explains the novice to advanced novice and intermediate phases very well. Both books are very very reasonably priced, so I would buy both the blue and grey.

Don't you think you should tell us how much your lifts have increased since you started your NLP?? This way it will be easier to understand you.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    Well then...what do you think your next step should be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin727 View Post
    If you are not gaining weight then eat more good food. Force feed yourself if need be, write down what goes into your mouth. Also, if you are gaining 5 pounds a workout at your squat, you are making the proper progress. Your bench will be 2.5 pounds a workout after the first few months. This stuff takes time, if you can take your squat from 155 to 415, that's a successful novice effect. Mind you, you will run this program more then 1x. Phase 3 of this program can last for a while. Once you are no longer a novice this workout will beat you to a point to where you cant recover Monday to Wednesday to Friday. Don't prematurely call yourself advanced novice or intermediate.The grey book explains the novice to advanced novice and intermediate phases very well. Both books are very very reasonably priced, so I would buy both the blue and grey.
    Reply to Maybach and Griffin:
    In hindsight it seems like I was just overcomplicating things. I am on GOMAD now and consuming 4000+ calories in total. I will see if this helps because I wasn't doing GOMAD before. If not then yes, I will simply have to keep increasing my calories.

Thank you for the advice regarding the books, I will get both as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    Don't you think you should tell us how much your lifts have increased since you started your NLP?? This way it will be easier to understand you.
    As I said I was just overcomplicating things. I didn't mention but I was on Jason Blaha's program for a few weeks and am now going to switch to the SS program. Here is my progress after 4 weeks of linear progression:
    Squat 150lb to 210lb
    Bench press 110lb to 130lb
    Deadlift 220lb to 275lb (I hit 300lb for 1x5 recently but stalled and had to go down 10%)
    OH press 80lb to 110lb (I stalled recently and will reduce by 10% and increase in 1kg increments this time - I didn't have 0.5kg plates before)

Get the blue book, really. Read it, then read it again, then determine your starting weights the way it's written in the book, then do the program. Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3. Simple as that. It will kick your ass, but it's worth the effort.

Here's a quick overview, but you have to read the book, or better: the books, Practical Programming should be on your list as well: Starting Strength Training Programs

You need to understand what you have to do, trial and error will only mess things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Rott View Post
    Get the blue book, really. Read it, then read it again, then determine your starting weights the way it's written in the book, then do the program. Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3. Simple as that. It will kick your ass, but it's worth the effort.

Here's a quick overview, but you have to read the book, or better: the books, Practical Programming should be on your list as well: Starting Strength Training Programs

You need to understand what you have to do, trial and error will only mess things up.
    Thanks for the advice, will do.

starting strength coach development program
    Reply to Maybach and Griffin:
    In hindsight it seems like I was just overcomplicating things. I am on GOMAD now and consuming 4000+ calories in total. I will see if this helps because I wasn't doing GOMAD before. If not then yes, I will simply have to keep increasing my calories.

Thank you for the advice regarding the books, I will get both as soon as possible.

As I said I was just overcomplicating things. I didn't mention but I was on Jason Blaha's program for a few weeks and am now going to switch to the SS program. Here is my progress after 4 weeks of linear progression:
    Squat 150lb to 210lb
    Bench press 110lb to 130lb
    Deadlift 220lb to 275lb (I hit 300lb for 1x5 recently but stalled and had to go down 10%)
    OH press 80lb to 110lb (I stalled recently and will reduce by 10% and increase in 1kg increments this time - I didn't have 0.5kg plates before)
    You are not doing the program, ergo, you eat poorly. Or you eat poorly, ergo, you are not adding weight on the bar as itīs supposed to be.

You already know what you have to do, right?

If not, ask me what part you don't understand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast