starting strength gym

Thread: Making It Work in a Commercial Gym | Deborah Lebl

Default Making It Work in a Commercial Gym | Deborah Lebl

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Millions of people around the world have used the Starting Strength method to train in a wide variety of gyms. They have done their training either in a Starting Strength Gym, in an affiliate gym, in their home, or, for many of us, in a commercial gym. Let’s be honest, Starting Strength stands in diametric opposition to nearly everything about a commercial gym, but this does not mean you cannot be highly successful training in such an environment.

Read more

Agreed on 'avoiding eye contact'; or rather, to make it sound less pathological, I would say it's good to keep a focused attitude, and strive to be noticed as little as possible.
    Besides cleaning the equipment, I would also suggest to replace properly the weights, leaving your rack/platform in a better condition than you found it, even if it means putting away weights you have not used.
    My experience tells me that after a while, this sort of behaviour is in fact noticed by a small group of people in the gym; in this group, you will probably find some individuals you will be able to trust for a spot.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Agreed on 'avoiding eye contact'; or rather, to make it sound less pathological, I would say it's good to keep a focused attitude, and strive to be noticed as little as possible.
    Focus and intensity go a long way. Lots of people can't tell the difference between Active Serious Face and Resting Bitch Face, so the result is about the same. Even if I didn't listen to loud, angry music on headphones in these types of facilities, I'd likely still wear the headphones just as a form of aposematic marking.

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Besides cleaning the equipment, I would also suggest to replace properly the weights, leaving your rack/platform in a better condition than you found it, even if it means putting away weights you have not used.
    My experience tells me that after a while, this sort of behaviour is in fact noticed by a small group of people in the gym; in this group, you will probably find some individuals you will be able to trust for a spot.
    Great point, IPB. I personally even straighten up plates that are on the pegs, but out of order. Staff often notice, and appreciate it, which helps mark you out as "one of the good ones", in case they get complaints about chalk or noise or whatever.

Lots of people will be oblivious to a good example, but some will follow what they see serious people doing, which gives those of us who know how to behave in our house some influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Great point, IPB. I personally even straighten up plates that are on the pegs, but out of order. Staff often notice, and appreciate it, which helps mark you out as "one of the good ones", in case they get complaints about chalk or noise or whatever.

Lots of people will be oblivious to a good example, but some will follow what they see serious people doing, which gives those of us who know how to behave in our house some influence.
    At my old globogym, we would troll the staff.... "put away" the plates as you say.

They had a huge area of those hammer strength lever-arm machines that you load regular Olympic plates on.

In between sets, we would slowly liberate the 45's from that area, and put every 35 in the gym over there.

If you think about it, it was a very practical thing to do

Don’t forget the idiots who give unsolicited advice about squatting.
    ‘Bending over will hurt your back’ is what I used to get. I always front them up and explain the whole methodology quietly and calmly. Interestingly when I subsequently see them squat, 90% of the time it’s in running shoes or trainers, high bar not to depth and usually no more than 60kg for a set of 8-10!