starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on accessory work

Default Thoughts on accessory work

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    In my path to get strong is there any benefit in adding higher rep accessory work into my programming?

I’m referring to what are typically seen as body building movements like dumbbell rows, or cable rows, dumbbell press, curls, good mornings, leg ext etcetera. I’ve read some texts by Andy Baker and some articles on Westside Barbell that refer to this. Westside published some stuff about high reps to avoid injury and build mass in the upper back to aid in squat leverage. Andy seems to reiterate this idea to a degree.

Or is this mainly for guys that are really advanced in their training and already humongous beasts?

I’ve read this. I understand the accessories don’t build the main movements. I’m not really looking for fun or spending more time in the gym than I already do. I think it’s “fun” to get strong as fuck. But is there any benefit from higher rep work on the main movements then to stifle joint and tendon pain … like (p)rehab? Thereby keeping me ready to blast the heavy weights week in week out?

Quote Originally Posted by Nico Garcia View Post
    But is there any benefit from higher rep work on the main movements then to stifle joint and tendon pain … like (p)rehab? Thereby keeping me ready to blast the heavy weights week in week out?
    How would this work, lifting light weights to get better at lifting heavy weights?

No.

All the things you're talking about are basically isolation movements when the muscles don't move in isolation in the real world, or just inferior main lifts, in which case they are inferior. I think the article kind of says all that anyway.

Rip is always right. I don't know why most of the time but it's still true.

Maybe you could do advanced isotonic isometrics instead though?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How would this work, lifting light weights to get better at lifting heavy weights?
    Well, duh, Rip...hypertrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    You've got me there.

You've got me there.
    I’m stronger than I’ve even been in my life from following SS so I take what you say as gospel. But then why do we consistently see people pushing these high rep supplemental exercises? Even PPST co-author Andy Baker. Not knocking the guy. I’m genuinely confused.

How it “might” work? I was thinking…

Page 302 of the Blue Book outlines the different adaptations the body will produce in response to high rep sets. Paraphrasing: … Better at managing blood flow and oxygen supply to muscle tissue and creating more blood vessels.

Could this be beneficial to healing tendons as blood flow to the tendons and muscles increase and becomes more effectively supplied?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    But it's sarcoplasmic and not myofibrillar.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico Garcia View Post
    I’m stronger than I’ve even been in my life from following SS so I take what you say as gospel. But then why do we consistently see people pushing these high rep supplemental exercises?
    Why do people sell battery-operated cars?

Better at managing blood flow and oxygen supply to muscle tissue and creating more blood vessels.

Could this be beneficial to healing tendons as blood flow to the tendons and muscles increase and becomes more effectively supplied?
    Tendons are essentially avascular. The tendon sheath is vascular. Why would high reps provide better blood flow than 5s?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast