starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: GOMAD doesn't work for me

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm not lactose intolerant myself, but a few of my friends are. From what I hear, the issues with lactose usually come out the other end

mathgainer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
    I spoke to an old dairy farmer who says non homogenized milk can be digested by people who are lactose intolerant. Apparently the larger globules (sic) are not digested until they are past the stomach, thereby preventing you from getting sick. Anybody else heard of this or tried it? I think my 4 yr old is lactose intolerant so we might try it out.
    This has been my experience:
    Regular milk - the most "symptoms"
    Unhomogenized milk - less symptoms
    Lactofree milk - zero symptoms

The above refers to consuming at least 1L per day. When I consume 1-2 cups I can tolerate regular milk just fine.

I tolerate regular milk in regular amounts just fine.
    After a few weeks of drinking a gallon of it a day I will be shitting through the eye of a needle. Though if I consume lactase with it I’m fine.

The general arguments I am seeing in support of lactose-free milk:

1. I feel included, because I can drink it.
    2. I feel like I am being inclusive, because everyone can drink what I am drinking.
    3. It is nutritionally superior, because I said so and the marketing campaigns from the Coca-Cola corp. agreed.
    4. The gubmint says it is safe and effective.
    5. I don't understand the manufacturing process and did not want to learn about it, but it seems trendy to support alt-milks.

We do frequently see things in nature that are similar to barbell training, food processing and information retention.
    Animals adapt to physical stress.
    Bees make honey.
    Ants leave chemical trails to read.

You can make an ad-absurdum straw-man of the argument by comparing nature to space travel if you want, but this is not what we are talking about.
    The evolutionary argument I made indicates certain macro-nutrient ratios are more nutritionally complete and consequently more conducive to the survival or growth of young mammals.
    A more nutritionally complete milk is likely healthier for most people.

Can one of you who is making this argument actually prove to me lactose-free milks are in some way healthier for everyone?
    I will not accept any of these superficial, crayon-eating, smooth-brained arguments, like "More protein. Protein =good." "Less sugar. sugar=bad"

Are more people actually sensitive, or are they just complaining more, or are we hearing them complain more?

We are hearing more complaints, which causes people to complain more so that their complaints may also be heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    I will not accept any of these superficial, crayon-eating, smooth-brained arguments, like "More protein. Protein =good." "Less sugar. sugar=bad"
    I guess the crayon eaters will be enjoying better health outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    I guess the crayon eaters will be enjoying better health outcomes.
    Convincing argument there, Shiva.

Eating more protein and less sugar is just not that controversial. An active adult male could plausibly drink a gallon of Fairlife every day for years. No one should do the same with milk.

starting strength coach development program
    The evolutionary argument I made indicates certain macro-nutrient ratios are more nutritionally complete and consequently more conducive to the survival or growth of young mammals.
    A more nutritionally complete milk is likely healthier for most people.
    This is a big leap. Rippetoe-isms aside, you are NOT a baby mammal, and are not going to get scurvy from drinking pasteurized milk. It is an even bigger leap to suppose that enzymes can survive the digestive system of an adult human in quantities appreciable to affect bodily chemistry. At this point, you're just doing ayurvedic medicine with a influencer-orthorexia gloss. Lactose free milk has a cooling effect on the body's humors, and deprives it of key essences emanating from the cow's alignment with the second house of Jupiter. Or whatever

If your body is unable to process mildly-fucked-around-with milk into usable body fuel, I'm afraid it is already over for you.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast