starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to do more deadlifts?

Default Is there a way to do more deadlifts?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Is there any way to minimize the amount of "CNS fatigue" that occurs when doing deadlifts?

I heard that the fatigue is due to how much cortisol is released and that it can be made worse when you consume caffeine or preworkout before your sessions.

I am not sure how true this is but I am interested in ways it can be minimized. For example I have noticed that vitamin C is recommended if you do weight training because it reduces cortisol?

Quote Originally Posted by mathgainer View Post
    Is there any way to minimize the amount of "CNS fatigue" that occurs when doing deadlifts?
    Use very light weights.

I heard that the fatigue is due to how much cortisol is released and that it can be made worse when you consume caffeine or preworkout before your sessions.
    I have heard that the earth is actually flat. And they can't say it if it isn't true.

I am not sure how true this is but I am interested in ways it can be minimized.
    It's obviously true, because, as I've explained, they can't say it if it isn't true.

For example I have noticed that vitamin C is recommended if you do weight training because it reduces cortisol?
    Must be true, so take some Vitamin C.

Best new poster.

I am not sure how true this is but I am interested in ways it can be minimized. For example I have noticed that vitamin C is recommended if you do weight training because it reduces cortisol?
    Are you still adding 5 pounds a workout for deadlifts?

In a case of getting stronger no. If you can deadlift and recover within 48 hours you pull 3 hard sets a week. If you recover in 75 hours you pull 2 hard sets a week. If you recover weekly you pull 1 hard set a week. After that you play around with alternating deadlift variations, it gets kinda individualized at that point. Be patient and chart your progess each workout. Guys who have gotten to were they can't pull 3x a week do pull ups, cleans, rows or dynamic deadlifts. Examples

A novice 48 hours recovery
    Monday deadlift 1x5
    Wednesday deadlift 1x5
    Friday deadlift 1x5

Advanced novice 75 hours recovery
    Monday deadlift 1x5
    Wednesday power clean 5x3
    Friday deadlift 1x5

Intermediate 96 to 120 hours recovery
    Monday deadlift 1x5
    Wednesday chin ups 3x faliure
    Friday SLDL 3x5 pretty much light deadlift

Advanced programing doesn't need an example you know when you get there.
    They are many ways you can structure the programing but the stress, recovery, adaption model must be accounted for at each point of advancement.

Why are deadlifts only 1x5 in the program?

Does vitamin C or other supplements help with recovery?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    Are you still adding 5 pounds a workout for deadlifts?
    Yes. Just to clarify my question was not directly about my own training.

Does vitamin C or other supplements help with recovery?
    Scurvy hinders recovery. And adaptation.

Why are deadlifts only 1x5 in the program?
    Short answer: Because that's enough to drive adaptation.

Longer answer: But you're really asking why you can't do MORE work sets, right? Because that tends toward overtraining, which, like scurvy, also hinders recovery and adaptation.

Just to clarify my question was not directly about my own training.
    This is obvious, because if you were already lifting heavy, you wouldn't want to even look at another deadlift for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Scurvy hinders recovery. And adaptation.

Short answer: Because that's enough to drive adaptation.

Longer answer: But you're really asking why you can't do MORE work sets, right? Because that tends toward overtraining, which, like scurvy, also hinders recovery and adaptation.
    I like the indirect answers/sarcasm I have been receiving here lol. I think you are all slowly becoming Mark Rippetoe.

starting strength coach development program
    I like the indirect answers/sarcasm I have been receiving here lol. I think you are all slowly becoming Mark Rippetoe.
    We think you're a troll. Or maybe just a stupid guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast