starting strength gym

Thread: Double progression more appropriate for upper body lifts?

Default Double progression more appropriate for upper body lifts?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    It is suggested to use micro plates for the upper body lifts during the NLP, because of the slower rate of progress.

This involves weighing the plates at your gym and marking them, which is an extremely tedious endeavour. One would have to take scales with them to the gym, weigh plates without looking like a weirdo, and then proceed to mark them without getting caught.

My question is, wouldn't it be more appropriate to use double progression on these lifts?

You will use a rep range that is wide enough so that, once you reach the upper end of the range for a particular weight, you are able to increase by 5lb.

For example, on the bench press you might do 3x5-8 reps. Let's say you are at 70kg and you are no longer able to increase 5lb each workout. The sessions might go like this:

Once you reach these numbers you increase to 72.5kg.

It might look like slower progress, but you are progressing at the maximum possible rate because you are doing the reps to failure each time.

In other words, when you start 72.5kg you might actually start off with 8,6,5 for example and then only take 1-2 workouts to reach 8,8,8, before increasing by another 2.5kg.

Isn't this more convenient than weighing plates in order to use micro plates at the gym?

Yeah, that's fine, just do it like that, because convenience is very important.

Have you tried just, you know, benching and pressing three sets of five to see what happens?

Please stop feeding this sea lion

My gym has some plates that look a little different from the others and I try to keep them in the same places. I don't have them marked, but I know the two with surface rust are a pair and the two matte black ones are a pair (separate from the shiny black ones). Maybe you can make some similar observations, but I understand that your gym might have homogenous sets of plates that basically look identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramus View Post
    Yeah, I only approved it for entertainment reasons.

You can also try the Bilbo routine and increase your bench press by 25 kg each month. Why limit yourself so much? Lol.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramus View Post
    He's pretty fun, come on. There's a certain amount of intellectual hygiene to be gained from entertaining even very stupid objections to one's ideas.