starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Default What would you do?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Mysteriously, I was not born in Texas but Canada. As such, during the "pandemic" I was barred from gyms for not getting poked (as well as restaurants and a few other venues). This threw a big wrench in my NLP as well as my mental health. Never the less, I persevered, bought all the equipment needed for a home gym and carried on. My basement ceiling height does not allow for standing press, as I would be pressing the bar through the ceiling. I adapted to this and do the movement seated. Not ideal, but had to make do with what I had.

This mandate has since been lifted - I can go back to a gym if I please and do the press as the program calls for. However, there is a large part of me that never wants to give money to a gym again. I remember being the only person on the weight room floor the day before the mandate, the next day I was no longer allowed in the building. Would you go back to a gym so you could do standing press? Or would you be like me and never want to give them a dime again?

Can you not find a better gym?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Arthur View Post
    Would you go back to a gym so you could do standing press?
    Assuming you can't find a better / different gym, as suggested above, would it be possible for you to train the Press outdoors?
    I know, it's Canada, I suppose it gets pretty chilly in winter, but with enough layers, once you are warmed up, it might be doable. After all, plenty of people work outdoors even in winter.

IPB

To go with IPB's post: If you have an outdoor space for it, a pair of five gallon buckets, a couple sacks of concrete, and some lumber can make a serviceable pair of stands from which you can press. Just be careful on the re-rack is all.

If you don't have that sort of space for whatever reason, perhaps a storage locker would work? I've heard of guys getting big enough ones for a rack and platform (some with electrical power for fans/heaters) and even sharing the cost across multiple lifters.

No garage? No better gym close by? No friend with a home gym? Then I’d go to that gym to press.

Default Smaller plates will give you a little room

My basement ceiling height does not allow for standing press, as I would be pressing the bar through the ceiling.
    It sounds like you're saying that the ceiling is so low (or you're so tall / long-armed) that the bar itself would hit the ceiling. If I'm misreading that, and pressing would make only the plates go through, perhaps you can get by using just smaller plates (e.g. 25s and a pair of 10s instead of 45s).

Take the bar outside, put on the plates. Clean the barbell using the press grip. Press the barbell over the head. Do a 3x5.

Mysteriously, I was not born in Texas but Canada. As such, during the "pandemic" I was barred from gyms for not getting poked (as well as restaurants and a few other venues). This threw a big wrench in my NLP as well as my mental health. Never the less, I persevered, bought all the equipment needed for a home gym and carried on. My basement ceiling height does not allow for standing press, as I would be pressing the bar through the ceiling. I adapted to this and do the movement seated. Not ideal, but had to make do with what I had.

This mandate has since been lifted - I can go back to a gym if I please and do the press as the program calls for. However, there is a large part of me that never wants to give money to a gym again. I remember being the only person on the weight room floor the day before the mandate, the next day I was no longer allowed in the building. Would you go back to a gym so you could do standing press? Or would you be like me and never want to give them a dime again?
    Very relatable post.
    The best decision here is the one that benefits you the most.
    We all are forced to pay ransom to the devils and cowards we fight against in some amount....for now.

If you decide the benefit to yourself outweighs the consequences to the gym, never forget what they have done to you and don't let them forget it either.

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    would it be possible for you to train the Press outdoors?
    I know, it's Canada, I suppose it gets pretty chilly in winter, but with enough layers, once you are warmed up, it might be doable. After all, plenty of people work outdoors even in winter.

IPB
    I second that. I do my presses outside for the same reason (low ceiling, or rather, tall guy and long arms). You already have the home gym equipment, why would you want to go back to a gym anyway? For social reasons? If you can find a dedicated lifting partner, even better.
    Train at home. Get ungodly strong and be proud. Good for your mental health, too.
    And if it gets cold, be proud that your will to get strong is indomitable and you're even lifting when it's snowing. (You still might want to get inside between sets though, he.)

starting strength coach development program
    You're right - I can find a better one. I guess I have been spiteful towards all the gyms in my area for that one experience. Thinking about it now though, getting a big press is more important than spite. I did get my seated press up to 190lbs so I would like to see where I could get doing it right

Funny enough, I did think about this when I first started. Can't remember why I decided against it - I do have a decent sized back yard with a concrete patio where I could set something up - I think I will take Rips advice and just get over it and find a new gym though. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast