starting strength gym

Thread: Failing lifts extremely early NLP

Default Failing lifts extremely early NLP

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    20yo healthy male here. Started NLP 1 month ago at 176lb with no previous gym experience, and generally a very physically inactive lifestyle. Currently at 185 and still gaining. I get around 200g of protein a day, with 3500 calories. I drink a lot of milk, eat a lot of eggs, as well as meat bread and pasta with some veggies. My sleep is good, 7-8 hours a day, I generally wake up feeling well rested. My lifts have progressed as follows in this month:

Squat: 55lb -> 105lb (started very low as I wasn’t able to hit depth with anything higher, this lift is where my problems are)
    Press: 40lb -> 66lb
    Bench: 55lb -> 88lb
    Deadlift: 110 -> 187lb (this is with a 10% deload recently because my form was getting really bad, and I didn’t want to hurt my back)

My problems started recently, my squat progress has stalled badly and every time I raise the weight I simply can’t push myself out of the hole. This has lead to repeated failures in lifts that leave me feeling crushed, and make the rest of my training harder and worse. I’ve tried working on my hip drive, and I’ve attempted to cue exactly according to the book (looking down, keeping myself tense, driving my hips up as if against an invisible force before engaging my knees). I don’t have a trainer or anyone more experienced to ask about this though, so there may be a lot of issues with my form I’m not realising. (Video attached). Another point is that I’ve not yet moved on to phase 2 of the NLP due to this stall with my squat, which I’d like to get resolved first. My deadlift doesn’t feel heavy or taxing enough yet to feel like a problem yet either. In terms of how I’ve progressed my squat, it’s essentially followed the NLP to the T starting at 55lb and moving up in 10lb increments twice, then in 5lb increments from there. All was fine until I hit the 90lb mark and I started failing lifts. Today was particularly bad, as I retried a weight I did last session and failed on the 3rd rep of the first set, and after that even after 10 minutes of rest just couldn’t get myself to not fail subsequent sets. This doesn’t feel like a mental block, as I get to RPE 9/10 trying to force myself out of the hole, but I just can’t.

I’m really looking for advice, what do I do to get myself out of this? Do I drop the weight by a lot and restart? Is there something badly wrong with my form? I’m at a loss here.

Post a squat video.