starting strength gym

Thread: Shoe shim material

Default Shoe shim material

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello everyone,

I have a 10 mm LLD and was wandering if anyone could recommend me where to buy the material (neoprene?) to shim the shoe.
    Currently I am using custom prescribed orthotics but they are a heel lift, and combined with my lifting shoes the heel is just way too high at about 1.4" (35 mm) and it feels funky.
    I also have very prone and flat feet and the back hates it when I lift without any kind of shim (even heel shim). When the short leg is shimmed there is almost no pain during and after training.

So if you know where to buy 10 mm thick rubber/neoprene/sole material please let me know because I wasn't able to find anything fitting online.

Thanks,
    Filip

The shoe repair shop will have the material.

I have been away from the site for a while and mostly lurking when I have had time to read it, but would like to reply here. I have a LLD of somewhere around 1/2" - 3/4" (12 - 18mm). I don't wear any shims throughout the day (I wear a brand of barefoot shoe most of the time) and am either barefoot or in socks at home. But when I lift and am wearing my lifting shoes, for my squats, press and deadlift I place a 1/2" stall mat remnant covering the left side of the rack which shims me to allow my hips to be neutral; the mat is roughly 2ft x 3ft in size so large enough not to trip or fall off and be a safe shim.