starting strength gym

Thread: Already failed squats after two weeks and might have injured myself

Question Already failed squats after two weeks and might have injured myself

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello and thank you for reading.

38 year 5'10 male.

(Cue weird numbers because converted from kilos.)

Bodyweight: 164 lbs -> 170 lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 132 lbs -> 154 lbs
    Bench: 3x5 100 lbs -> 121 lbs
    Press: 3x5 44 lbs -> 66 lbs
    Squat: 3x5 121 lbs -> 143 lbs (read on)
    Chins: 3x10 +0 lbs -> 3x5 +22 lbs

Perception: Progressing on squats feels much harder than on the other exercises.

Sleep: I cannot function with less than 8 hours, so I get 9.

Eating: I'm living on a surplus of chicken, rice, beans, eggs, milk, yoghurt, and broccoli. Gained 6 lbs so far.

Failure event: I managed squatting 3x5 at 143 lbs in the penultimate workout. My training log has "fuck" written in it because of how hard I struggled on the last set. I also felt some mild irritation in my lower left belly. Today I tried for 3x5 at 148 lbs. I failed on the first set (4 reps). Fifth rep I got down but couldn't get up, dived out from under the bar and had the safety rails of my rack catch it. Second set 3 reps, third set 2 reps. I waited 8 minutes between sets. During the last two reps I felt a sharp, burning, intense pain in my lower left belly region. The area still feels warm and irritated three hours later but does not hurt. I didn't have any pain issues in the following exercises.

Image with location of pain: https://i.imgur.com/MKSnziR.jpeg

Questions:

- Why do I fail miserably on squats while the other lifts are progressing?
    - What to do about the belly pain? See a doctor before squatting again? Form check video with warmup weight? Form check video with working weight?

Thank you!

You are about 50 pounds underweight. You may have an inguinal hernia, and this should be checked. Were you wearing a belt?