starting strength gym

Thread: Is this a cult?

Default Is this a cult?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Of juicy looking 50 year olds?

I can't help but notice that everyone on the starting strength videos or website have the same look. Chase, Nick, Rusty and others, and of course Rippetoe himself. Also, the men used to demonstrate the lifts in the books. They all have that plump, slightly fat look. Why is this important? I am not just asking this, because looking big seems to be emphasised. Just search "big" on the starting strength youtube channel and you will see what I mean.

Why is looking big important? I can understand getting strong, but this can happen without looking big.

Take David Laid for example. He is 6ft 2 and usually weighs around 90kg. On this forum, he would be considered skinny. Yet he can deadlift 675lb and squat 465lb. I know the squat isn't amazing, but it is still impressive. Also he doesn't even look skinny; I think height definitely plays a part in "looking big" but so does having a decent amount of muscle mass. Maybe we should just accept that some people are ectomorphs? To rephrase my thread intro, Rippetoe is trying to turn everyone into meso-endomorphs. I'm afraid this just isn't possible Rippetoe.

But being bigger makes you stronger. This is true, but why is absolute strength important past a certain point? Please don't get me wrong, I am all for continuing to get stronger throughout your life. But this can happen without consuming an excessive amount of calories just to break through a plateau that has no real meaning or significance (assuming one isn't competing of course). If one's goal is general health and strength, this can be achieved just by continuing to train and progress for a number of years. In fact recent research has shown that the loss of muscle mass in old age is mainly due to periods of immobility (or low mobility) after which strength is not regained. This is not a problem for those who lift for two reasons: They are healthier in general meaning they get ill less. Also, if they do fall ill any lost strength is quickly regained because they train regularly.

What other reasons are there? Bragging about being able to squat 900lb and deadlift 1000lb?

Default I was wrong

Apologies, I have realized the error of my ways. Gaining weight is important for stabilizing the spine among other things. I think there is a reason why David Laid has back injuries meaning he cannot lift anymore.

If my recent thread can be deleted and not posted, I would appreciate it.

No, because it is important to think before you post. You are not a thinker, so try to improve.