starting strength gym

Thread: Hip drive impossible on high bar

mathgainer Guest

Default Hip drive impossible on high bar

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I do high bar squats because that is how I have always squatted and I much prefer it to low bar. I will admit that I haven't seriously tried switching to low bar and that I probably should as soon as possible.

My question is regarding hip drive on high bar squats. I have tried numerous times to use hip drive, but it seems impossible to make use of the glutes and posterior chain in the bottom position because of the vertical back angle. Whenever I have tried to use hip drive, I have ended up bending forward too much resulting in a good morning which feels like I am pushing the bar up with my back and shoulders rather than my legs. It definitely ended up being something different from a squat.

Is there any way that I can make more use of my posterior chain in the high bar squat or is it counterproductive and I should just continue focussing on pushing with my quads?

I found an old thread in which Rippetoe suggested viewing 1:47 - 1:50 of the following video to see hip drive in a high bar position:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZFms0ruG5E

I do see the slight hip drive but the lifter seems to pause at the bottom first. When I squat I do not pause but rather make use of the stretch reflex at the bottom. This seems to save me from having to use hip drive but maybe this is why I struggle to use it? I do go quite deep when I squat so maybe the posterior chain relaxes past a certain point? It definitely feels like there is "nothing there" when I try to use hip drive to get out of the hole and I am simply forced to use my quads. On the other hand when I try to go just below parallel, I might find it easier to use hip drive but it becomes way harder to get out of the hole. Maybe this is because I do not make use of the bounce from the bottom, or maybe my posterior chain is just weak?

I am aware that this is probably an inappropriate question to be asking on Starting Strength but I hope that someone can point me in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by mathgainer View Post
    I do high bar squats because that is how I have always squatted and I much prefer it to low bar. I will admit that I haven't seriously tried switching to low bar and that I probably should as soon as possible.

My question is regarding hip drive on high bar squats. I have tried numerous times to use hip drive, but it seems impossible to make use of the glutes and posterior chain in the bottom position because of the vertical back angle. Whenever I have tried to use hip drive, I have ended up bending forward too much resulting in a good morning which feels like I am pushing the bar up with my back and shoulders rather than my legs. It definitely ended up being something different from a squat.
    Not possible. This is why we teach the low-bar squat. I think this has been discussed for about 15 years.

mathgainer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Not possible. This is why we teach the low-bar squat. I think this has been discussed for about 15 years.
    Dear Rip, ignoring the fact that hip drive isn't possible are high bar squats keeping my deadlift down or is there little difference? My high bar squat NLP ended at 110kg, deadlift stalled at 140kg but I am aiming for 150kg after a reset, no idea if I will reach it.

Upon reviewing your posting history, it is obvious that the high-bar squat is the least of your problems.

mathgainer Guest

I understand what you are saying but with all due respect I don't have any other problems. I had my testosterone checked recently and it was 700+. I am not autistic nor do I have other psychological problems.

As I said, I do understand what you are saying. It isn't my fault that my brain thinks weird sometimes but I need to watch what I post. I appreciate that you have not banned me yet and I apologize again for the odd posts.