starting strength gym

Thread: Quad tendonitis rehab/recovery

Default Quad tendonitis rehab/recovery

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi all,

I'm 37 years old, 6'2", 260 lbs, been doing my novice linear progression for about a year now (a few training setbacks during that time - workplace injury, overseas holiday, birth of my first child, job with long hours and overtime). I use a lifting belt, lifting shoes, and I am on TRT.

My PR lifts are:
    Squat - 330lbs (3x5)
    Deadlift - 445lb (1x5)
    Bench - 250lb (3x5)
    Press - 170lb (3x5)
    Clean - 205lbs (5x3)

Not sure if the above information is relevant to my question but I thought it best to provide some background.

My issue is some quad tendonitis (both legs, equally 'painful') which developed as a result of me high bar back squatting. I got up to 320 lbs low bar back squatting but did a high bar 'reset' due to recurrent and sometimes debilitating elbow problems . All was well until it wasn't. At first I confused the tendonitis with muscle soreness and squatted through it. After a week, this became impossible due to the pain. I did a bit of reading and figured I had quad tendonitis. Keen to train through, I started box squatting to alleviate the stress on my knees and reinforce the low bar technique (which I will be returning to!) and have been for about 4-5 weeks now. I am adding weight to the bar (starting at 80kg and now at 105kg). I am still experiencing some soreness in my quad tendons after workouts (I feel it most getting out of bed and on/off the toilet). I have also replaced my cleans with rows the last 4-5 weeks as I wasn't sure how explosive movements would affect the tendons.

My question is - how long should I box squat? Until the pain is completely gone? I am keen to return to regular low bar squats but don't want to exacerbate the problem.

If you need me to provide some videos I am able to do so when I get home and can access my iPad. I have videos of me low bar squatting prior to the high bar 'reset' and I have videos of me box squatting but none of the high bar squats.

Thanks for any insight!

Post a video of your box squats, and let's see if you're staying out of your knees.

Box squats - Set 1
    Box squats - Set 2
    Box squats - Set 3

These videos were never meant to be published as a 'form check' video, hence the angle/height. I was using them to watch for depth/shins/knees and they're all I have for now. If you require videos following the specifications stated on the forums I'll take some next workout.

These are not terrible squats, but if you want to stay out of your knees you'll have to pause them on the box and come up with better hip drive. You're raising your chest early on the first 3 reps of each set.

Thanks for taking the time to watch and thanks for the advice. I'll take some more video next workout with 'drive hips' and 'chest down' in mind.

starting strength coach development program
    Box squats - Set 1
    Box squats - Set 2
    Box squats - Set 3

Here's the next lot. I think they're a bit better than the last lot. However, there are still a couple of reps where the chest rises a bit early.