starting strength gym

Thread: Burst Blood Vessels/Bruising on Hips Post Squatting

Default Burst Blood Vessels/Bruising on Hips Post Squatting

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Afternoon Team,
    For as long as I can remember I've always found bruising/burst blood vessels around my hips post squatting just below the belt. Obviously this is from the belt hitting the hips when in the hole of the squat. I use a 4" belt for squatting, pressing & benching, 3" belt for deadlifting. Is this bruising perhaps a sign the belt is too thick which may be hindering efficiency at the bottom on the squat hole namely back extension and 3" is a better option or that's life welcome to strength lifting. FYI technique posts confirmed no issues with squat.
    Thanks NM

I have and Idea! Try squatting in the 3-inch belt and see what happens!!!!!!

Nice one thanks Mark, will do. For my knowledge doesn't a 4" belt provide more hoop tension vs a 3" therefore more support in the squat allowing more weight to be lifted? The bruising doesn't concern me I'm more concerned to do what's optimal ultimately allowing the most weight to be lifted. Thanks again Mark

Did you read the article?

Apologies Mark, I just read through the article start to finish and it thoroughly answers my question, thanks again