starting strength gym

Thread: Newer lifter question

Default Newer lifter question

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey everyone,

First time here. I'm 43, i've messed around with weightlifting at many points in my life but this is the first time taking it seriously. I'm 6'2, average althletic ability. My squat is at 235 for 3x5, deadlift is at 320 for 1x5, press is at 140 for 3x5, and bench is at 200 for 3x5. I'm also doing chins with a band working towards bodyweight chins. Right now i'm at 3 sets of 6 with the band. Out of curiousity i went and had a dexa scan done. I'm at 27% bodyfat, i have a 43 inch waist. Currently i weigh 245. I've lost 5 pounds in the last 6 weeks since i really started cleaning up my diet.

I'm anxious to get a couple of inches off my waist. I'm also anxious to get my squat to 315 and my deadlift to 405 (as a baseline.) I'm eating 175 grams of protein a day and i have cleaned up my diet.

Since i have some extra fluff is it reasonable to keep pursuing strength while trying to get my waist down to 41 inches or should i not worry about that at all and just keep focusing on the weight on the bar for now?

Thank you,

Alan Twilley

This is a diet problem, not a training problem. Describe your diet.

Yes your right.

I used to eat typical american, high fat, high carb low protein. Lots of junk. I have cut most of that out, when i do its moderate. I cut out alcohol 4 months ago, my goal is a year because i'm serious about this.

Now i'm trying to eat 175 grams protein, all real food. I'm eating in the 2400 or so calorie range daily. Doing that since i've started training i have lost 5 pounds and 1 inch. Like i said before now i'm at 245, 43 inch waist, 27% bodyfat.

Probably what i'm looking for will happen naturally, but i've never taken strength training seriously so this is new ground for me.

Thanks for your time rip,

Alan

You will have trouble getting recovered on this protein/total calorie intake.

How did the Dexa scan go? Off topic, but I’m feeling pretty good because a recent one at age 67 showed me c. 2 to 2.5 standard deviations, depending on where on my body we’re talking about, above a man in his 30s.