starting strength gym

Thread: Calculating Pounds Based off Age/Height/Weight

Default Calculating Pounds Based off Age/Height/Weight

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Good Morning,

I'm new to the program, and I ordered the Starting Strength Book ( waiting for it to arrive), but have been listening to the Radio Show/Podcast on my morning drive to work. During the show, I have heard on various occasions where a guest will call in and state their Height/Weight/Age and Mark and his Crew will state what they should be lifting (in pounds) in the Deadlift, Bench, Squat, Press etc.

I was curious to see where this can be found, I assume there is a online chart, calculator, and or algorithm one can reference to see where one should be.

If this covered in the book, then I apologize as I'm still waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

My personal stats are the following.

6'2
    40 Years of Age

Thank You In Advance,
    Daniel Sheffield

I suspect Rip has a feel for this from his decades of training other people (and from training himself at different weights, ages and injury states) as well as from the context given in the question posted. There probably isn’t a good algorithm for this unless a person has exactly average anthropometry.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Copersino View Post
    I suspect Rip has a feel for this from his decades of training other people (and from training himself at different weights, ages and injury states) as well as from the context given in the question posted. There probably isn’t a good algorithm for this unless a person has exactly average anthropometry.

Of course, I could be wrong.
    Solid point, I failed to look at it from that perspective.

Thank You

I guess I need to write an article about this. Thanks for the idea.