starting strength gym

Thread: Is this guy legit?

Default Is this guy legit?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I live in northern Germany and am looking for a coach to teach me proper form on the main lifts in person.

I found a guy in Hamburg called Lukas Buschkühl who claims to coach SS and sports a photo with Rip on his website (Link).
    However, I couldn't find him in the coaching directory.

Is this guy legit? Thank you.

Looks like a powerlifting coach. He's not a SSC, but he might know more about this than you. Give him a try, unless he wants you to pull sumo.

I'm not sure what you're asking?
    He's a professional coach, i.e. he does this as his job.
    He's not claiming to be an SSC, but the website says he's familiar with the method and uses NLP for his novice clients.

Thanks Rip. He wrote an article about SS not being a good beginner program (translation). Not so stoked anymore.

This guy does not understand the program.

Make sure he sees this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Thanks Rip. He wrote an article about SS not being a good beginner program (translation). Not so stoked anymore.
    High technical requirements for beginners without a coach
    The basic barbell exercises require technical precision. Beginners usually have difficulty learning five new, complex movements in a short space of time. The risk of injury or early stagnation is therefore relatively high. The exercises are explained in the book and there are good instructional videos on the Internet, but it is rare for a beginner to learn all the basic exercises correctly without the guidance of a coach.

An ideal beginner's program should, at least to start with, provide technically simple alternative exercises . This way, a beginner who is technically unsure and does not have the opportunity to book a coach can still start training. It is a good idea to practice complex exercises, such as squats, with a light weight right from the start - but if the exercise feels technically wrong over a longer period of time, it makes more sense to switch to the leg press for the time being.
    Wow - I must be a genuine statistical anomaly. Cool!

If only there were a way in this day and age to get get free form checks from skilled coaches...

If you want to do an improved version of Starting Strength , then:
    Keep track of your reps in the tank and increase the weight for a movement whenever you have two or more reps in the tank at the end of the set.
    A beginner cannot adequately learn the basic movement patterns alone, but CAN adequately estimate reps in reserve. And can adequately tell if exercises feel technically wrong over a long period of time. Got it...

I suppose, to be fair, that Herr Buschkühl could be very good at coaching the movements alone, which could be of some value. Of course, one of his testimonials shows him coaching a lifter doing the Deadlift of Shame, so Rip's earlier caveat may obtain.

It is a little disingenuous, however, that he throws out by name that he teaches the Staring Strength method, then turns around and says all this stuff.

starting strength coach development program
    They're not even original criticisms.