starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlifts before squats

Default Deadlifts before squats

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I searched through the forums around the topic of deadlifting before squatting and found the consensus is it’s a bad idea for multiple reasons, including how draining deadlifts are and psychological benefits of getting squat out of the way. I agree with this and much prefer doing the exercises in the recommended order.

I’m currently in my NLP. I’m in a situation where my gym only has one rack, so if someone else is squatting I have to switch up the order or I won’t be able to finish my lifts before having to get back to work.

My question is, is this suboptimal but fine in a pinch, or should I be really trying to find some other solution? And is there anything I should do differently on those days from a programming perspective? Luckily, it’s probably only 1 out of 10 workouts that someone is actually using the rack, as most people here don’t do barbell lifts.

Thanks.

Deadlifts before squats are suboptimal. The program is written this way for good reasons. Deal with it as you must.