starting strength gym

Thread: Haulting dl to reinforce setting back

Default Haulting dl to reinforce setting back

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    My deadlift was never an issue until a year ago. I have been having issues setting my lower back for some reason, despite following the setup and all cues. It was brought up in an article referencing haulting deadlifts that they can help with setting the back and engaging the lats, so I was wondering if adding them in on a light day is a bad idea? Currently I do one heavy set of 3 and two heavy sets of five spaced out about 4-5 days. My poundage is going up very steadily, I began this as a linear progression at 275, switched to triples and a light day at 365, and am currently at 395 with no slowing down in sight. I just don’t know where I would plug them in, and from all I’ve seen posted they are pretty brutal to do.

My question is: is there a slot where haulting deadlifts can be plugged in while I am doing a heavy light split?

I never used them like that. They were my heavy pulls, along with rack pulls.

Two questions for you, Johnsonville:

1) How did you arrive at the current alternation of a heavy triple with two heavy fives?

2) What tells you that you are having trouble with setting your back?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I never used them like that. They were my heavy pulls, along with rack pulls.
    Got it, I’ll just have to set my back like everyone else, until it’s time to break the movement up. Appreciate it.