starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bodyweight dips after we can do 30+ reps?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    The cutoff for when you introduce weighted chin ups is around 15, since 15 is a (slightly arbitrary) cutoff for when you start getting into conditioning stresses for the movement.

The only way to strengthen a movement is to add weight. So, you add weight.

For all the reasons I laid out before, chins are an assistance exercise. Your progress on them is going to follow, not lead, progress on the other lifts. Like Rip said, the specific way you do them doesn't matter: incorporate them into your routine in whatever way fits. If they get stuck, but the other lifts are progressing, it doesn't matter.

You're getting yelled at because a) you are doing dips, which are not in the NLP. They have very limited utility as an assistance exercise for the bench, and there's no reason to include them unless they are actively doing something to increase your bench. Which it doesn't seem like you know they are doing. And b) you are doing 35 reps of them. Nothing you do for 35 reps constitutes a force production stress. I know this seems arbitrary but think about it for a second. There may not be a "hard cutoff" for when to stop including bodyweight exercises but if there were, it would be less than 35.
    I understand your point, but in the book it says do Bodyweight on one day alternating with 3x5 while adding 1-2lbs per session. At no point does it say "once you can do X reps you should stop doing BW". I don't mind getting yelled at, if I say something incorrect you can correct me and yell at me all you want. If doing 3x5 and adding 1-2 lbs per session is no longer recommended because depending on what you wear and eat you will weight different each time. Then you can just say that.

98, if you want to do dips, do the goddamn things. We Don't Care.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    98, if you want to do dips, do the goddamn things. We Don't Care.
    I don't want to do dips. I already removed them. I am defending my reasoning for starting the thread and clarifying my question. Since I must not have explained myself correctly originally.

You all are acting as if I came in here saying "what is the exact rep scheme I should use for tricep kickbacks and wrist curls to replace squats and deadlifts on my homemade madcow 5x5 hybrid amraps from greyskull LP ". I just asked a simple question about a part of the actual book where I was confused.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by huskers1998 View Post
    You all are acting as if I came in here saying
    I'm glad it's not just me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123