starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Belt and Your Training | Mark Rippetoe

Default The Belt and Your Training | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Here are a few random thoughts about the belt and the lifts. Feel free to add to it in the comments.

Read more

I got my 3 inch belt from Dominion after using the standard 4 inch for too long. I'm sure it will surprise Rip to know how much better it has been for me.

I actually got single ply for two reasons. One was that a thicker single ply seemed cooler than two thinner. The other was it was cheaper. When you go from AUD to USD that makes a difference.

For those looking for a narrower belt for deadlift, dominion now offers a 2.5in single ply option. I'm able to get into proper starting position a lot better with it than the standard 3in double ply starting strength belt.

2.5 in Single Ply Leather Weightlifting Belts | website

I do like the way a suede belt grips my shirt. I was lucky enough to get myself a 3” and a 4” belt from Best Belts about 10 years ago, when they were still producing. I offer to let gym clients borrow them if their smooth belts seem to slide, especially during deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Here are a few random thoughts about the belt and the lifts. Feel free to add to it in the comments.

Read more
    Hey Stef, what is your recommendation for BB rows and belts. I don't do rows yet, but it seems like it would get in the way of hitting your belly. Is that the case and BB rows should always be done unbelted?

Have you actually performed a barbell row?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Have you actually performed a barbell row?
    No, but I squat and deadlift with a belt and the location you touch with the bar in your barbell row videos would be where my belt is located.

So this is a theoretical problem only.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    So this is a theoretical problem only.
    It's not a theoretical problem. It's a question that will arise in the future, that I am avoiding by asking now, in a thread about belts. So that I don't need to make another thread years from now when I am on the advanced program and utilizing rows.

Instead of clogging up the board with an extra thread you could just say "yes belts can be used for rows" or "no belts should not be used for rows since they impede range of motion"

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, belts can be used for rows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast