starting strength gym
Page 72 of 659 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172572 ... LastLast

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    After that, a figure 4 arm bar ends the engagement quickly.
    This was the submission that kept from escaping side mount the other night. I couldn't tap out fast enough. Figure 4 fucking hurts.

Weight: 246.

5 minute warmup on the bike. (Heavy Day)

Overhead Press: 195 x 5 x 3. This was quite a milestone, but I don't consider it a PR because although 190 was my best effort on the peaking before my PR single of 220, it is in fact the foundational work that will get me to 225 this time. Amazingly it wasn't that hard getting all my reps. I was prepared for a few sessions of having to eke out the 3rd reps of the last 2 or 3 sets but not only did I get stronger through the sets, the 3rd rep on all of them after the first set got easier to lock out. Curious phenomenon. It must be like a capacitor feels as a charge builds up in it because I was ready to whoop and do a backflip after the last rep of set 5. But didn't because I can't do a backflip. This was in spite of my continuing sore pecs and/or upper ribs that didn't seem to have any impact at all on this.

Sumo Deadlift: 355 x 1. I was so charged up after the presses I was certain I had 3 in the bag. But apparently the charge left after the first rep because that was it. I used all I had in getting the presses. I am content.

Sully let me say again, great article. Set it next to Mount Rushmore where it belongs. As for the figure 4, I struggled trying to get it right when I did judo and somehow now much later it clicks in. The purple belt I was working with made the mistake of calling it a Kimura. More BJJ influence that I just loathe and all because Kimura used Ude Garami (figure 4) to beat their darling Gracie. So it must be something new and original because the Gracies invented all this stuff. Fucking cultists, it's older than Kano by God knows how many centuries who included it in the canons of judo. I not so diplomatically explained that to him and probably am now thought of as an old school ass hole. I'll still dribble his young ass up and down the mat.

Jon, those are all elements of what we teach too, although my own farts have always been entirely fortuitous but are always loud enough to measure on the Richter scale and bring down the house, or dojo as it were. Some of the ways we use these distractions is to most often cause a disruption or loss of focus on the attack or hold. An attacker using a wrist grab has his attention focused on his grip and possibly the other hand for a strike. A foot stomp sends his brain's attention down to his foot while his brain and CNS divert to a polling loop at both ends. This makes it hard for him to follow up or resist a counter. Another element we use is to disrupt the balance or stability of the attacker. Same wrist grab but this time step into him and drop a shoulder into the sternum moving his base and sending his brain and CNS along with his equilibrium into a different polling loop. Master Bellman doesn't use those IT terms to explain it, but that's how I translate how it works.

Curious phenomenon. It must be like a capacitor feels as a charge builds up in it because I was ready to whoop and do a backflip after the last rep of set 5.
    I like the capacitor image.

Sully let me say again, great article.
    Thanks!

Set it next to Mount Rushmore where it belongs.
    Dunno about that.

As for the figure 4, I struggled trying to get it right when I did judo and somehow now much later it clicks in.
    Oh, I can do a figure 4...I think it works especially well from side mount. But getting out of a figure 4 is quite a bit trickier...and a higher priority, I would add.

Good work on the press, sir.

I've watched them charge the capacitors at work to conduct a static discharge test on some of our commercial products to simulate and test the circuitry when they pass through the layers of the upper atmosphere and space. It's like something out of Frankenstein and you expect to hear some mad engineer yelling out "It's alive, allliiivvee, ALIVE!!! I tell you! AH-HA-HA-HAH!!!"

It absolutely belongs on Rushmore, but Stone Mountain or next to the Liberty Bell would be OK too. As for getting out of a figure 4, well, that is no mean feat. Once my wrist is pinned down on the mat, I can't get the arm back or away to save. I have had some success with a horse bite to the inner thigh as the other guy's hand comes down for the wrap and the sudden shock and self levitation allowed me to then do a one handed push press and power roll toward them that worked once or twice. The best thing though is to keep your hands and arms in close to your body. You can exert power better to fend them off and it's harder for them to try to sneak in a wrap around one of your arms. Especially if you can keep your hands between waist and no higher then chest level with your elbows in. Think close grip bench press.

Oh, and thank you for the kudos on the press.

My metrics OCD kicked in again this afternoon, so I went to Golds and did a fit test on the machine and then for good measure did some stretching. Got a VO2 Max of 38.6 so I am back in the excellent category for geezers.

Weight: 248

5 minute warmup on the bike. (Heavy Day)

Bench Press: 225 x 5 x 3. This was supposed to be 220, but I got lazy and just loaded two big 'uns.

Hammer High Row: 345 x 5 x 3.

Pinch Grip: 155 for 18 seconds.

Foam roller and stretching.

My metrics OCD kicked in again this afternoon, so I went to Golds and did a fit test on the machine and then for good measure did some stretching. Got a VO2 Max of 38.6 so I am back in the excellent category for geezers.
    Oooooh. Gotta find me one of those. I have my own metrixomania.

Weight: 249

I did a running GXP this morning and rolled and stretched out the kinks at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullydog View Post
    Oooooh. Gotta find me one of those. I have my own metrixomania.
    What, you can't get a couple of colleagues to put you on a treadmill and test you gratis? I use an elliptical with the handles to engage the upper body. It has a warm up phase for a couple of minutes, then it ramps you up gradually until you get to 120 bpm over the course of several more minutes, and then takes you through a further progressive ramp up until you reach some pre-determined (programmed) cut-off. Then you get your read out on the green LCD crawl strip. Pretty simple, and while it's not the Cooper Clinic, it ain't half bad.

Gotta say, Mark, I'd be sort of curious to see how you, the expert, and me, the rookie, would stack up in a fight. Our strength levels are in the same area, with the exception of your beastly overhead press.

I have a feeling that you'd take my youthful arrogance and use it to pummel me to the floor. I'd have to pay Sully a visit.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    Gotta say, Mark, I'd be sort of curious to see how you, the expert, and me, the rookie, would stack up in a fight. Our strength levels are in the same area, with the exception of your beastly overhead press.

I have a feeling that you'd take my youthful arrogance and use it to pummel me to the floor. I'd have to pay Sully a visit.
    Speed and skill play a significant role in this as well. Your power cleans should stand you in good stead on that score, although surprisingly even to me at this late remove, I haven't lost much if any speed in reaction time or reading anticipatory intent. Quite a bit of what we do in mushin ryu either doesn't really hurt more than a few seconds. Unless the move is cranked with something more than 30% of strength, but the discomfort although transitory is shocking. Along with that there are some lateral and 45 degree moves that just leave the attacker staggering on a forward foot leaving the defender set up to the side and slightly behind the attacker. I don't suppose I have to elaborate that presents a significant disadvantage to the attacker in short order.