starting strength gym
Page 105 of 386 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 3851

Thread: Puttering along

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    I'm blown away that they are tender when cooked at 350. I never have any luck this way. I usually cook them around 210-220 for a LOOONG time to get them tender. You have given me something to prepare for my in-laws visit this weekend.
    I would also be interested to know how they stay tender. My wife and I actually slow cook 'em in a crock pot for at least 3-4 hours, and then put 'em on the grill briefly to get some crispiness around the edges and a smokey taste. Works pretty well for us, but we're not trying to win a competition, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    I sure wish I could help you burn through some of them. I wouldn't mind being a taste-tester.
    Heh, if you could get here, I'd take the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    I'm blown away that they are tender when cooked at 350. I never have any luck this way. I usually cook them around 210-220 for a LOOONG time to get them tender. You have given me something to prepare for my in-laws visit this weekend.
    I have friends that do the longer method and I really really prefer the way I do it. I felt a little vindicated when I was watching one of the BBQ shows the other night and most of them did it my way on that particular episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    I would also be interested to know how they stay tender. My wife and I actually slow cook 'em in a crock pot for at least 3-4 hours, and then put 'em on the grill briefly to get some crispiness around the edges and a smokey taste. Works pretty well for us, but we're not trying to win a competition, either.
    Last night I cooked another rack and because the guy was here going over our kitchen again before the final order, they ended up staying on the grill for an extra 45 minutes. A few of the ribs actually fell out as I was trying to lift it from the grill. Unbelievable how tender and juicy, bite after bite!

Got a quick lift in today, a day late. So much to do since we finally had 2 days of sun and we had so much to catch up on outside. I ended up mowing about an acre or a little more with a push mower with a bagger and then did the final 3 acres with the John Deere rider. Then more weeding and planting in the garden, finished off by cleaning of the front porch (12'x36') and washing it and sorting through what we wanted back on it and washed it off pretty well.

16" Close grip
    140x15
    240x12
    335x3
    355x2
    315x5
    Dips
    BWx34
    Ab Wheel
    9 kneeling
    9 Standing!

That's a nice set of dips there Oldster!

Hey Thanks! I was supposed to do 3 sets of 34 but the wife was there and needing to get home. OK, she was about to pee her pants and my partners house was locked. So I cut things short and did a near burnout getting her home!

I finally got a chance to check your log and you were cruising along as usual until you got to vacation! We need to get togather, soon. Its summer, the wife is off so I have much more time available. What would work good for you? I gotta take you to a couple buffets that will make your 215lb goal a real problem!
    Last edited by Oldster; 06-29-2012 at 10:55 PM.

9 standing ab-wheel sounds pretty tough. And 34 dips then wasnt even failure?! Your pressing strength is amazing, I need to pick your brains on how to improve my crappy, crappy bench at some point.

I'm really pleased with my ab wheel work, DV. I'm able to do standing reps twice per week now so I guess things are really strengthening. Truthfully at one point I couldn't imagine doing them twice per week and be able to recover. Surprise!

Dips are pretty easy for me, I think I've performed 3 sets of 60 before. I can help you on your bench when ever you are ready.

Front squat
    135x5
    185x1
    225x1
    275x1
    TBDL
    275x2
    350x1
    450x1
    T-Bar Rows
    145x10
    190x5
    235x5
    280x5

Really impressed with that front squat.

Thanks Mac, not sure how hard to push them until my knee decides on things for me. My best is around 355 or 360 for 3 reps. My goal has been 405x1.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Thanks Mac, not sure how hard to push them until my knee decides on things for me. My best is around 355 or 360 for 3 reps. My goal has been 405x1.
    Admirable goal.