starting strength gym
Page 14 of 386 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Puttering along

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Still a bit sore from all the chins on Monday. Triceps felt much better today after getting a deep tissue massage yesterday. I'm bruised from it but feel pretty good. During the massage I whined to the 75 year old lady that has the hand strength of a 30 year old powerlifter that she was going to hear a trickle start to drip.......it HURT.

Close grip bench--up to 310x6x2
    Dips--3x12
    Rows--up to 245x3x8

You know Oldster, I got certified as a massage therapist at the Santa Monica School of Massage in the People's Republic of Santa Monica some years back. I have a pretty good grip as you have noted, and I know how to use my knuckles, thumbs and elbows to good effect too from that training plus some mystic arts of the East that can cloud the mind of man. Only The Shadow knows, heh-heh-heh-heh. Dearly Beloved had back problems that turned out to be fibromyalgia. Just sayin.'

Uh oh.........if a 75 year old lady could make me hurt like that, I fear what you could do!

In my own defense however, after questioning her about pain and the difference between men and woman, she told me that in 40 years of massage that everything she was taught years ago was true. Woman handle MUCH more pain than men with ease and very little complaint. While she did mention that she had never worked on a weight lifter before, she had also never worked on anyone who could stand the pain she was putting me through. At least she understood how bad she was actually hurting me!

Fibromyalgia, huh? Oh boy..............

She's absolutely right about that. At one point when money got really tight I worked part time in a chiro's office doing massages. I swear to God, Asian women have an off the charts pain tolerance. I kept asking one if the pressure was OK, and she kept upping the ante to DEFCON 5. After my thumbs had all they could take, I started using my knuckles on her shoulder blades and eventually had to lean in with my elbows. The whole time she never winced one time and kept saying "You do it harder!" I almost wanted a cigarrette when I was done, and I've never smoked in my life. She hopped off the table, said thank you and smiled. Cripes.

My cycle is over. I have a 'strain sprain' in the right medial head of my tricep down above the elbow. Its been getting progressively worse and I really felt it today on my max attempt. I stress.....attempt.....

Close grip--240x10-275x3--295x3--335x1--405x0--335x5
    DB Military--35's-45's-65'sx2x10
    Curls--75x10-100x10-125x10-170x5

I felt the 405 on the lift-off in my tricep. Attempted it anyway. Not even close. Did a nice easy backdown and now I'm going to take a week off and see if this injury will heal. Already have another chiro + deep massage appointments for next week which may help with recovery. Militaries were butta' and was surprised at how tough the top set of curls were after how easy the warmups were.

Mark, I understand why you were needing a cigarette afterwards. A woman tells me 'you do harder' and she hops up and smiles when she leaves, well......... ;>)
    Last edited by Oldster; 04-15-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Man what a way to start the weekend. Sorry about your tricep, but your concluding comment is too damn funny.

Monday I'll have had 10 days off. My triceps really needed it, probably for the first time. Not sure why other than age I guess. I've had another visit to the massage therapist this week and she didn't have much more time than to work on just both of my triceps. I had no idea that they hurt quite like this. But when a thumb is driven down 3" deep, problems have a tendency to show themselves! And 90 minutes of concentrating on triceps, biceps and pec tie-ins really leaves a fellow......breathless......

My old Chiropractor worked on my knee that has been a problem for a couple years this week. Don't know if this was the problem, but it feels better already. Getting in and out of a truck hurts badly after I've been sitting a while. Lots of limping for a while. This adjustment seems to have helped.

My plan is about what it was before, just back up in weight. I will start working the squat and dead harder if my knee turns out to be better. I like pressing, so 3X per week will continue. Just need to get my front squat up closer to a 400lb single. A PR in the front squat hasn't happened for quite some time since I injured this knee a couple years back. Don't care about deadlift weight but something in the low 500's would make me feel good about myself again!
    Last edited by Oldster; 04-23-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    ...My plan is about what it was before, just back up in weight. I will start working the squat and dead harder if my knee turns out to be better. I like pressing, so 3X per week will continue. Just need to get my front squat up closer to a 400lb single. A PR in the front squat hasn't happened for quite some time since I injured this knee a couple years back. Don't care about deadlift weight but something in the low 500's would make me feel good about myself again!
    I felt the 405 on the lift-off in my tricep. Attempted it anyway. Not even close. Did a nice easy backdown and now I'm going to take a week off and see if this injury will heal.

Come, young ones, come stand near the Greybeards’ fire and listen to their stories, how else will you learn? Listen to tales of storms at sea and plunder and tall blonde maids. Don’t interrupt their musings, though, because they are angry about missing 405 reps on the bench and are making plans to front squat 400 pounds. When these challenges are won lifting a quarter ton will be done and dragons slain. Just watch and learn so you are ready to take their place when they are called to Aasgaard.

Well said bob. This should be set to music. How about the Immigrant Song by the Mighty Led Zeppelin? Bernard Cornwell could write another volume of his saga about Uhtred of Bebbanburg with a lead in like this. Why do I want to paint my face blue and start chewing the rim of my shield? VAAALLLHAAAALLLAAA!!!!!

starting strength coach development program
    Oh my Bob, you do wax eloquent! Thanks!

A great start to a new cycle today. Pretty much pain free, though it IS light this first week... CG is actually 316 as one of our plates is a 46lber.

Close grip--240x15-280x2-300x2--315x6x2
    Military--120x8--165x9
    Chins--11?
    Ab Wheel work (new to me)

Anyone have any thoughts on ab wheels? One of my partners brought one in today and we decided to give it a try. None of us have the slightest clue about it.