starting strength gym
Page 376 of 386 FirstFirst ... 276326366374375376377378 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,760 of 3851

Thread: Puttering along

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I just checked out the bar on elite's web site. What a cool piece of equipment. I just wonder if it will withstand the Oldster challenge!

I don't understand, BD. Is this realm not still known as Asgard?

Quote Originally Posted by codger View Post
    I just checked out the bar on elite's web site. What a cool piece of equipment. I just wonder if it will withstand the Oldster challenge!
    It is 'about' one hundred billion times coolers than I imagined, Yoda. Spendy, but magnificent.

Woohoo! I'm glad to see your new bar has arrived, and you are enjoying it. Sounds like you'll be at 405 and beyond soon, on the squat.

Not squat in over a decade, one day just casually squat 385??? Woo!
    Brown dog was right, not of this world. Have fun, oldster!

I think you're right, Amy. Would have loaded 'er to 405 today, except I ran out of time.

I front squat, granny. It is an underrated movement not enough lifters do. I'm sure I have weak links for a big back squat, but those will certainly strengthen as I go. Most lifters can only FS about 66% to 75% of their BS, so its not like I came to this bar weak.

But no, it's been a long, long time since I back squatted.

Nice squatting Oldster.I have seen that some use the SSB to do front sqts.

Congrats on the new SSB bar Oldster! Looking forward to seeing some impressive numbers (and videos?) from you! I sure like mine too as there is no more comfortable way to squat!

I can't decide what sort of squat the SSB is. Positionally the bar sits on the front of the traps with the handles, and high on the upper back with the main bar, so one would think it was somewhere between a front squat and a high bar squat. One can use higher weights than the front squat, but I've never really tried to load the SSB to see how heavy I could go.

One of these days I'll record a side video to see how my body is positioned when I squat with the SSB to really compare it to a traditional barbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    I don't understand, BD. Is this realm not still known as Asgard?
    OK, We'll go Nordic, and not Greek.

All hail Son of Thor!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Congrats on the new SSB bar Oldster! Looking forward to seeing some impressive numbers (and videos?) from you! I sure like mine too as there is no more comfortable way to squat!

I can't decide what sort of squat the SSB is. Positionally the bar sits on the front of the traps with the handles, and high on the upper back with the main bar, so one would think it was somewhere between a front squat and a high bar squat. One can use higher weights than the front squat, but I've never really tried to load the SSB to see how heavy I could go.

One of these days I'll record a side video to see how my body is positioned when I squat with the SSB to really compare it to a traditional barbell.
    I've always been a high bar guy, having hit some fairly big numbers (over 3X BW) over the years. It's one of the reasons I decided to go with the SSB. Judging by one single session, it is absolutely perfect for my style.

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    OK, We'll go Nordic, and not Greek.

All hail Son of Thor!
    I was thinking Thor's great-grandpa, but son works well(er)! Heh!

Todays lift went quickly. It was tough to sit and look at my new bar while I CG'ed, and will admit to doing a few more sets with just the empty bar.

Close grip bench (medium day)
    140x12
    240x12
    290x5 sets of 6

Can't complain, nothing hurt and I slept well from about 2:30 until around 10:30 this morning. Almost went to bed at midnight, but writing was going so well I couldn't stop.