starting strength gym
Page 51 of 386 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Puttering along

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by bob g View Post
    Yeah, this beast is a trophy for sure. I hope that he makes it through the upcoming season and keeps contributing to the gene pool. The guys I know who hunt deer would be sporting wood for days thinking about this one. I had to hit the brakes three times for deer within a couple miles of home tonight. It's getting to be goofy time for the herd and they don't look both ways before they cross the road.
    Yep, rutting season. Those big boys don't think about much more than procreation and everything else, vehicles and hunters included, be damned! I love those big beautiful racks being able to make it through the season to pass on their genetics. Many hunters underestimate, or don't even think about the genetic pool. Our deer around here are just barely starting into the rut.

Leaving for Wyoming tomorrow to help move one of my old employees who got a job back there. We are taking a caravan of vehicles with everything he owns to get him moved in one fell swoop. Should be gone a week so I got a massage today which left me not quite up to par for lifting. But I gave it a try anyway.

20" Close grip--up to 240x12--290x2--335x2--410x0
    16" Close grip--260x14
    Chins--10
    Ab roller--10 from knees--4 standing

The 410 was still very close. I thought I had it but just couldn't quite muscle it through the top part of my sticking point. I was pleased by the 4 standing reps with the ab roller as there was no ab pain at all.

See everyone in a week or a little more!
    Last edited by Oldster; 11-07-2011 at 08:39 PM.

I used to do quite a bit of running, and I'd see deer once in a while, always does. Then one crisp November day I encountered two very large bucks with HUGE racks on the trail in front of me. I first saw them when they were right on the trail, about 100 yds away. I continued to run towards them, and they just stood there. I eventually slowed to a jog, and then a walk, to give them time to move off the trail. They were not intimidated by *my* narrow-assed self in the least. Judging by their size, they had both been in the gene pool a while. I can only surmise that the rut wasn't in full swing yet, since they were still hanging out together.

Back from Wyoming yesterday morning, a bit worse for wear. I threw my back out badly helping moving a piano and I'm still hurting and waiting for a chiro appointment on Thursday. Wow do I hurt.

Got a lift in yesterday anyway. It really affected my strength however. This is going to be my big push toward 415-420lbs on my close grip and if my back will stand it, 550lbs in the deadlift. I have very few things left to do before the end of the year so I am really hoping for some real gains over the winter. I lost weight as usual on a trip, down to 226 yesterday.

20" Close grip--up to 240x15--315x6 sets of 2
    DB Bench--80'sx15--120'sx12
    Chins--BWx10#x19
    Ab roller--10

The DB bench was just plain excruciating getting into place. Ab roller hurt badly also. Can't wait to get things adjusted and be pain free again. Can't squat or deadlift today for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by grubinski View Post
    I can only surmise that the rut wasn't in full swing yet, since they were still hanging out together.
    That would be about right, Grub. Most of the time bucks will stay very close, during the summer even hanging out in groups of 10 or more, but when the ruts swings into play, only smaller bucks will hang around the edge of the herd trying to sneak an occasional breeding in.

Pianos can be a serious challenge to move, especially if stairs and/or trailers without gangplanks are involved. The bigger uprights are reportedly 600-700lbs, lifted in cramped circumstances at odd angles, and woe betide you if one of the helpers loses his grip.

Glad you're back to continue inspiring us all. The only lift of yours I've come close to matching yet is the 415x0 bench press, since I can indeed do 0 reps of that at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
    The only lift of yours I've come close to matching yet is the 415x0 bench press, since I can indeed do 0 reps of that at the moment.
    We are definately tied!

Great to see you back! I hope you can get those PR's before the end of the year.

Thanks, Callador. It may take into January but I threw the gauntlet down to my partner tonight. 420 close grip by the end of January which would finish this cycle and one more at 6 weeks. He has 5lbs to go with a standard grip bench, I have 10lbs to go.

20" Close grip--up to 240x12--315x6 sets of 3
    16" Close grip--245x15
    Row--230x2 sets of 10
    Ab roller--12

I am such a puss. I can feel pain anywhere and it will affect my lift. Pain in the low back and I can hardly muster up the strength to close grip. Poo. I have a 9:30 a.m. chiro appointment that I hope takes care of this. And then a full day after that of babysitting two Granddaughters, one of which is a little over 3 years old, the other 7 weeks old. Pray for me........! Poor poor Papa.......

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    We are definately tied!
    I'm way ahead of you guys. I can do the negative portion of 415x0 at least twice as fast as you. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    And then a full day after that of babysitting two Granddaughters, one of which is a little over 3 years old, the other 7 weeks old. Pray for me........! Poor poor Papa.......
    I bet you wouldn't miss that day for anything. Dig out a camera and get some pics of the sisters, they change so fast. And get some with you in the picture, too.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by grubinski View Post
    I'm way ahead of you guys. I can do the negative portion of 415x0 at least twice as fast as you. :-)
    THAT was funny, Grub! I'm grinning so much the 'Perfessor' thinks the top of my head is gonna fall off!

Quote Originally Posted by bob g View Post
    I bet you wouldn't miss that day for anything. Dig out a camera and get some pics of the sisters, they change so fast.
    Their Mama takes more pictures than I have ever, actually never imagined! I can't believe the difference of the 7 week old from the day after she was born (I was on my way home from Wyoming) to about 4 weeks old. Not even the same li'l girl. I'm going to have to break down and buy a camera of my own pretty dadburned soon.