starting strength gym
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: ***DANGER*** Old Squid Lifting Fast ***DANGER***

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Was feeling pretty crappy yesterday, so I listened to the body for once. Felt better today, so:

BP @ 185: 5/5/8 - this continues to move up very smoothly. It's "heavy-ish" now, but I keep getting 7-8 reps in the last set, so all good.
    HBBS @240 5/5/5 - Not so great today. Lower back was very tired going in (Deads on Thu?). Going to keep an eye on this.

For the HBBS/DL plan, I'm going to stick with what I'm doing for now, but at the first set of 5 that I miss on HBBS, I plan to reset HBBS 10%, drop DL back to 5# increments (unless I hit 5 reps first) and put FS back in on Fridays. Rehab has gone well, but with the change to HBBS in addition, it's been almost like starting over (although I'm NTDP per SS but rather the old-timers program JP suggested which is a cross intermediate programming). All good in either case.

Snatch work today to break up the studying and keep me from going postal...

W/U: Jump rope for 5 minutes, Burgener w/u, PVC OHS x10
    65x5 3PosSn

Sn: 65x5/85x3/95xfxPSx1/105xfxPSxfx1 - called it here due to not feeling it so much.

School is really de-motivating me right now. Hard to stay positive when the weight of the end of the semester is here. Just struggling with my motivation right now. Two more weeks, and a little sunlight. I hope.

Permit me to advise you here. I mentioned to Oldster a not so long ago that I got my Dad a tape of Marine jody calls to fire him up for his physical therapy and fight back after a really serious stroke. Now of course I wouldn't say to a former Navy guy to use a Marine tape, but I just happen to recall they had tapes for Armed Forces personnel other than Marines also. It might just work. I know when I need a pick me up before or during a session, it has always worked for me.

Thanks Mark. I appreciate the idea. I've been trying to select music I find inspiring when I'm in the gym. It's not that part that's the issue though. Just life/school in general I think.

FYI: I'm still active duty as well (not former Navy - still in the Navy). No big though.
    Last edited by Greg C; 11-29-2010 at 04:02 AM. Reason: clarification

Sorry there, the squid part threw me off.

Fucking school...

BP@ 187.5: 5/5/5 - weird sudden drop in the 3rd set.
    C&J: 3 Posn+Jerk: 65/85/95/115/135 - working on 2nd pull (finishing before pulling under)
    + Rack Jerk @145 x3x1 - thought better of this after 1st set (Friday is SP after all) and stopped
    DL @255: x9 - heart was absolutely hammering at the end of this.

Some make up. End of semester stress and schedule challenges. Comfortable max and 3-miss rule in effect today.

SP @ 145: 5/5/6
    Chin (BWxMR): 10/9/10
    Snatch: 65x5/85x1/95xf1/105x1/115xfpff
    C&J: 115x1/135x1/145x1/155x1/165xf1/175x1/185xf - called on account of time

Clean felt very smooth until the miss at 185 (165 miss was an elbow drop) where I was just slow getting under it, and the bar beat me down. Probably not an aggressive 2nd pull either. Shrug. I'm still really concentrating on technique lately. Snatch was good on form except I was failing to lock out in the rack for some reason. I'm going to take my weekday Sn sessions and do OHS and SnBa until I get more comfortable locking out the heavier weights overhead. I know that'll help.

On a separate note, I've been reading a bunch on leangains.com. Since I am rapidly approaching 41 (April), and have never been legitimately lean (I don't count the almost stick figure skinny I was before I joined the Navy) I am going to try to get cut up before my 41st. Will be using Intermittent Fasting as the method to see how it goes. Have fat calipers on the way, and took some before pics for later use this morning. No weight loss targeted (still hovering around 209# btw). Goals for strength will remain the same, so this will be an additional goal.

Some missed work last week, so I repeated squat weight.

BP @190: 5/5/6
    BS @240: 5/5/7

Slow and steady I guess.

SP@147.5 - 5/5/5 - getting freakin heavy again. + 14@95#
    Chin@+22.5 - 5/5/5
    OHS@ 95 - 3/3/3
    SnBa x2x3 - 95/1151f/115
    DL@265 - x8 (pussy)

starting strength coach development program
    HBBS@245: 5/5/7 - bloody HB is getting tough
    BP@192.5: 5/4/4 - got a proper bench today (had been using a marine cooler - half as wide, not as stable.) Still going to freakin' reset I guess.

Edit: Well shit - the BP was evidently a 5# PR. Guess I should be watching that closer. Based on this, I think I'm going to slip right into TM for the pressing movements as it fits my current schedule so nicely.
    Last edited by Greg C; 12-10-2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Cause I'm a dork...

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast