starting strength gym
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fk what you heard

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    However if your physio friend did not meet any who squatted twice their bodyweight, perhaps he needs to widen his social circle. This garage gym gives the results of several lifters over 80kg squatting at or over twice their bodyweight.
    Yeah, but Icelanders who lift and are under 80 kilos are not exactly thick on the ground. There's a big difference between squatting 150kg at 75 and 200 at 100. I know quite a few myself who squat 2xBW, but the conditions were very restrictive, bare feet, no belt, no wraps, and since it was done in a quiet lab with no spectators, adrenalin would have been minimised. Also, because he absolutely did not want anyone on steroids, he didn't advertise in the most hardcore gyms.

Are you implying that anyone who squats 2xBW or over outside a competition must be on steroids? If so, then like your physio friend, you need to expand your social circle.

Are you implying that anyone who squats 2xBW or over outside a competition must be on steroids?
    Not at all, but eliminating them (and the gyms they train in) does cut down the possible candidates in a small town. A lot.

Three of the ~30 study candidates claimed to squat over 2xBW beforehand, but none of them made it under study conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    Are you implying that anyone who squats 2xBW or over outside a competition must be on steroids? If so, then like your physio friend, you need to expand your social circle.
    Did you really, seriously think he was implying such? I usually don't comment on these boards but, jesus dude, why did you think that?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ronn View Post
    Did you really, seriously think he was implying such? I usually don't comment on these boards but, jesus dude, why did you think that?
    Because he said no-one in the study was able to squat 2xBW, and in case we wondered about where the study's authour had got his lifters from, then said of him,
    Also, because he absolutely did not want anyone on steroids, he didn't advertise in the most hardcore gyms.
    Which is another way of saying, "Yes, in more hardcore gyms they'll squat more than 2XBW, but those guys are all on drugs anyway."

The relevance to the thread is whether a 2XBW squat goal is a reasonable one. If it can only be achieved with steroids, it is not a reasonable goal; if it can be, it is. I say that it is a very difficult goal, but a reasonable one for a healthy adult male. Whether msingh is healthy, adult or male has been debated in the past, but I am inclined to think he is all three. Therefore with sufficient hard work and good food, and no drugs, he can achieve a 2xBW squat.

And even if he can't, well... if you must fall short of what you aim at, then you ought to aim high.

Squats
    1x4 110 kg
    1x5 105 kg
    1x5 100 kg

fuck that was hard, didnt do presses and deadlifts, too sleep deprived.

I thoguht you were up to 3 plates before xmas... why the strength loss? bad day?

Nah it was more like october or something. I'm seriously detrained. The mind is willing but the body is not! Working on it though. I think i can take 5kg jumps for a couple weeks. Man i'm in the worst of worlds, skinny fat, if i diet off the belly i'm left weak and tiny, and if i kick ass in the gym for a bit, there is no happiness cause im fat too boot.

I've had a few days OFF. Life getting in the way. But did manage to get out in the park yesterday for a run.

Have a new BW PR. It is 91.9 kg. Yes, under 92 for the first time in YEARS. This is lower than I was at the end of RFL last year, and that was 6 weeks of torture. This isn't so bad, i've just eaten less and followed leangains. Dont feel very skinny or muscular though. I need to gain some muscle and lose more fat, still rocking the belly.

Time to get strong. I will ramp up aggressively on the barbell while maintaining or slowly reducing bw to hopefully under 91kg by the end of Jan.

starting strength coach development program
    You are at or around a healthy bodyweight. Continuing to eat at a caloric deficit while at a healthy bodyweight will lead to stalls or drops in lifts. You cannot gain muscle and lose fat at the same time unless you are overfat, which unless you are under 5'6" you probably are not.

Cut and lose strength, bulk or maintain and gain strength. Choose one, you cannot have both at once.

Aside from that, your issue is consistency. Dropping workouts for weeks, quite naturally you lose strength. Consistent effort over time gets results. This is simple, not easy. This is I believe not the first time you have come across this issue. It is time for you to face the issue rather than dodging it once more. Consider the things which help or hinder your consistency. This is part of the genius of the iron, it tells us a lot about ourselves, we cannot lift more without learning something. If we too scared of what we might learn, we will not be able to lift more.

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast