starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Temporary fuckery and experimentation

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by aron View Post
    Just reread this, are you saying that you should do your 5rm until you can no longer do 5 reps, and then use 80%? Im going to reread the section in PTTP to confirm this now.
    You do one set at 100%, one set at 90%, and five to twenty-five sets at 80%.

100% is not necessarily your 5RM. What I mean by 100% is that it is your workset load for the day. Pavel talks a lot about how you can adjust your work load from day-to-day during a cycle. You can do linear, wave, stepped, etc.

I made these notes

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=19799

Quote Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
    You do one set at 100%, one set at 90%, and five to twenty-five sets at 80%.

100% is not necessarily your 5RM. What I mean by 100% is that it is your workset load for the day. Pavel talks a lot about how you can adjust your work load from day-to-day during a cycle. You can do linear, wave, stepped, etc.

I made these notes

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=19799
    Thanks, great notes. I think we're on the same page about this workout. Do you have any tips for progression? I thought about adding 5lbs to my workset each session for the bench and deadlift, and between 1-5lbs for the press, and recalculating the percentages from there each session.

Quote Originally Posted by aron View Post
    Thanks, great notes. I think we're on the same page about this workout. Do you have any tips for progression? I thought about adding 5lbs to my workset each session for the bench and deadlift, and between 1-5lbs for the press, and recalculating the percentages from there each session.
    I don't have any recommendations. I've just read about the program and read some other people's logs. I haven't done the bear.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

I misread the opening times for Sunday on my gyms website. Thought it said it was open till 7. Turns out its open till 17:00. Fuck. Missed it for today.

Todays Workout:

Bench:

72.5 kg: 5

65 kg: 5

57.5 kg: 13x5

Deadlift:

112.5 kg: 5

102.5 kg: 5

92.5 kg: 3x5

Was in a hurry today so couldnt finish deadlifts

Todays Workout:

Press:

60 kg: 3
    50 kg: 5
    45 kg: 5
    40 kg: 10 x 5

Deadlift:

115 kg: 5
    105 kg: 5
    95 kg: 5 x 5

I am a terrible man. I know. But, I've decided to jump back on the SS bandwagon. I hate myself for ever leaving it. Not really, but my numbers are pathetic, and I want to get fucking stronger already.

Im going to be using this format.

Workout 1:

Squat: 3x5
    Bench: 3x5
    Deadlift: 3x1

Workout 2:
    Press: 3x5
    Deadlift: 4x1

Workout 3:
    Bench: 3x5
    Deadlift: 5x1

Why the unusual deadlift reps? I doubt your body is so finely tuned that you need such variation. If you just do 5 reps each day for deads then you will be doing the first two week phase of the Practical Programming novice program.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
    Why the unusual deadlift reps? I doubt your body is so finely tuned that you need such variation. If you just do 5 reps each day for deads then you will be doing the first two week phase of the Practical Programming novice program.
    I figured since I wasnt doing power cleans and was therefore going to be deadlifting every workout, I wouldnt have the benefit of a week between workouts, and should therefore ladder the weight up. If I can hit 3 reps monday, Ill go for four on wed, five on friday, and then add ten pounds and repeat the next week,

starting strength coach development program
    Figured I would update my log a tiny bit, since I havent really been keeping it online for a while. For the last few weeks since I injured myself, I've been really only doing singles, doubles, and triples, pushing for PR's and enjoying myself in the gym. Diets gone to shit, so bodyfat has gone up, but trying to sort that out. Some recent lifts are: (not very impressive but all PR's)

Deadlift: 315 lbs x 3 (250 pre injury)
    Rack pull from knees: 405 lbs
    Bench: 176 lbs x 3 (160 something pre injury)
    Press: 135 lbs x 3 (2 rep PR)
    High bar squat: 253 lbs (225 lowbar pre injury)
    One handed deadlift: 150 lbs
    Dips: 1 x 235 lbs (5x200 pre injury)
    Curls: 40 kg (30 kg pre injury)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12