starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 week trip to squat hell

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    some thoughts from this experiment, so far:
    1) this has tested my ability to "fail" under the bar. I hadn't realized it before, but I have a real fear of having to dump the bar. I realize this mental stop is keeping me from getting my true number of reps. I can imagine that it is also holding me back in all my gains.
    2) I honestly thought this wasn't going to be that difficult. i was very wrong.
    3) training, like most things, can get stagnant and boring. the smallest effective dose of change, just to get the blood flowing again, can be incredibly important.

If I may throw another two cents in, I'd say that you need to start these a bit lighter and then hope to get 20 with something in the neighborhood of your 10-12 RM after ~3 tries (and I mean three tries spread over the course of a couple weeks -- not multiple shots in one gym session).

A true 20-repper is death. Not something you want to work on for more than a week or two.

If the notion of dumping the bar is broached, it's prob too heavy. Again, just my experience/opinion.

starting strength coach development program
    thursday's workout
    squat- 135x5, 185x5, 225x3, 275x3, 315x5, 365x5, 380x5, 380x4 (failed on 5)
    OHP- 95x5, 135x5, 150x5x3
    weighted pullups- 20lbsx5, 20lbsx4, 20lbsx3, BWx4
    GHRx6x3
    Squats felt better than they have in some time. I didn't caffeinate before working out. i don't know if that had any real effect, but i felt better. I think the monday high-rep set was still having an effect on my legs, hence the failure on my second set. . after next weeks final attempt at 20 reps, i am confident that 380 for a work set is within reach.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12