starting strength gym
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: gain 25lbs & get stronger

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Well, after taking my son to school to go on a school trip at 4:30 this morning, I decided not to go to the gym.
    I did a workout at home, it was nothing special.

Press
    45kg x 5 x 5

Row
    50kg x 5 x 5
    I did rows because I now don't like power cleans unless with a barbell with rotating cuffs. But I do clean every time I press or squat so a bit of "greasing the groove" happened.

Squat
    62.5kg x 20

I'm definitely leaning towards adopting the Texas Method. On Monday.

I'm tired.
    Last edited by solitaire; 10-28-2016 at 08:47 AM.

Weighed in at 12st 8lbs. Not sure what happened there as I ate well this week. Hmm.

Added some hemp oil to my oats smoothie this morning. Will continue to do that.

Going to start Texas Method on Monday. Going to have to do intensity day on Mondays and volume day on Fridays.

It'll be cool to see what TM brings you!

Thanks Chris. I am hoping that I can get some more progress with this approach.

I am planning to go to the gym at lunchtime, but I'm having a slow half hour at work so here's the garage portion.

Press
    50kg x 5
    Well, that was pleasing, since I only managed 3 reps at this weight last time.

Power Cleans
    I've been watching some of Rip's videos on this over the weekend. I definitely have an arm-pull.
    So I worked with some light weights (20kg, 40kg) and tried a few of the drills, eg. jumping with straight arms from hang position.
    To be honest, I think I am some way from executing this lift properly.

Bench
    Had to bench first as someone was in the squat rack. Gym lady tried to be helpful and pointed out there was another rack, but it had rails - some kind of Smith machine so I passed. Anyway ...
    Was aiming for a 5RM at 70kg. That moved pretty easily, so I did:
    72.5kg for 5.

Chins
    5kg on belt: 6, 5, 5
    Not great numbers, but perhaps that was the effect of doing this after benching.

Squat
    115kg x 5
    I was happy with this.

I had a bit of time left, so I played around with my Power Clean a bit more.

Overall, this felt good. The idea of working up to a new 5RM seems to make sense.
    Last edited by solitaire; 10-31-2016 at 09:59 AM.

Didn't really feel like it this morning. But managed a few lifts.
    Wednesday is my light day. Friday will be volume. I'm still working out how to fit something like the Texas Method into my week.

Press
    42.5kg x 5 x 5
    I decided to do 5 sets, just because.

Row
    51kg x 5 x 5
    I just feel like my Power Clean is a total mess at the moment. Also right biceps is a bit sore (probably due to all that arm-pulling lol). So I did rows.

Deadlift
    105kg x 5
    Didn't feel like doing the squats today. I'm almost thinking I will forget the 20 rep squats now and do deadlifts on Wednesdays. It'll be safer for one thing.

Going to skip training today. I have tweaked my back somehow. Also I feel generally a bit cr@p. I had a flu jab a week ago, so possibly it is that.

Yesterday, I felt a bit better, so I repeated the pressing & rowing from Wednesday. No back pain today.
    Went for a run today. Only 4.5 miles. Breathing was quite bad, still suffering with goitre.
    Not feeling too great. Probably just a bit down, will try to have a more productive session tomorrow.

Weighed in at 13st this morning. I am feeling quite chubby, but determined to keep going in order to help my strength gains.

Pressed 51kg this morning, new 5RM.

Planning to go to the gym at lunchtime.

Squat
    New 5RM at 117.5kg

Bench
    On reflection I realise that I loaded the bar at 72.5kg for my work set, not 75kg. Did 5 reps, but feel a little stupid.

Chins
    5kg on belt: 5, 6, 6

Didn't have much time left but did 2 sets of 3 Power Cleans with 40kg, just thinking about form really.

Last week was not great from a training point of view, hoping to give it a better go this week.
    May have to do some Power Cleans at home on Mondays as my gym time is limited to what I can fit into a lunch hour, basically 40 minutes tops.
    Last edited by solitaire; 11-07-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Looks like I will be getting to the gym today. Still trying to think through implementing some version of Texas Method.

This morning.

Press
    43.5kg 5 sets of 5.

Deadlift
    105kg 3 sets of 5.

I'm hoping to do squats and bench press later.

Squat
    105kg 5 sets of 5.
    This is ~90% my current 5RM.

Dips
    10kg on belt - 3 sets of 6.

Bench
    New 5RM 75kg

In theory, Wednesday is my recovery day and Friday is volume. But since I have had a bad couple of weeks training-wise, I thought I get some squat volume in there and have another go at my bench 5RM. Pleased with what I did.

Noticed some mottling / rash on my right arm (where I got the flu jab). Can possibly blame some of my malais on a reaction to the vaccine. The problem with having bipolar disorder and low thyroid function is that it's tempting to blame all variations in energy levels / feeling of well-being on them.
    Last edited by solitaire; 11-09-2016 at 09:04 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    First proper attempt at a "volume" day.

Press
    43.5kg - 5 sets of 5.

Squat
    105kg - 5 sets of 5.

Chins
    5kg on belt: 6, 7, 6.

Bench
    70kg - 5 sets of 5.

Deadlift
    137.5 x 5
    This is the same weight I did last time I deadlifted heavy (which was on 19th October ).
    I felt it best to repeat it rather than go for a new 5RM.

All in all, I was happy with this.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast