starting strength gym
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TheStender's Workout Journal

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm heading over to Lonestar Barbell tomorrow, the gym out of the guy's garage. Sounds pretty good so far. They follow a westside program though, so if I start going there, that's what I'll be doing.

The gym sounds like a little piece of heaven though.

Well, the garage is good so far. Here's what I did, rough numbers since we weren't really keeping track.

Wide-stanced Box Squats
    Warmups
    8x2 - 155 lbs

Deadlifts
    3x3 - 185 lbs

GHR's
    3x10 - bodyweight

Sled dragging
    Not sure of weight or distance

I tried a band on the deadlifts at 135, and it was pretty tough for me. So they did the bands, and I just did them normal.

I'll be working out with a few other guys that can all lift a massive amount more weight than I can, so that can either be a good thing, or a bad thing.

DE Upper Body is today. I'll be trying the place out for a week or two to see how it goes. So far I like it, my only concern is the time it will take up.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStender View Post

I'll be working out with a few other guys that can all lift a massive amount more weight than I can, so that can either be a good thing, or a bad thing.

It is a good thing, it will force you to get stronger and also open up your mind to what strong is. Glad you're going over there.

Dumbbell Presses with Bands
    Warmups
    8x3 - 30 lbs

Board Presses
    8x3 - 135 lbs

Yates Pulls
    3x15 - 95 lbs

Floor "skull crushers"
    3x8 - 45 lbs

All rep/set numbers are appoximate, since I haven't really been keeping track of what I've been doing. I'm going to try to bring a notebook or something to keep track. With four guys rotating though, there's no real time to sit and log what you're doing.

Dumbbells presses with the bands were interesting. One time I didn't control the weight on the way down, and the band won out and slammed one of the dumbbells into my chest.

Board presses were interesting, I did more weight than I thought I'd be able to.

Nothing like working out in an open garage when it's been hotter than 100 degrees outside all day. Of course, my truck doesn't have air conditioning, so by the time I got there, I was used to being outside.

Today is ME Lower day, looking forward to it.

Wow, talk about a serious turn in your training

Floor skull crushers? How do those work, just like regular skull crushers but lying on the floor?

Nice journal Stender, let me pull up a $4 Walmart camping chair as I follow along.

They were actually JM press on the floor. They are normally done with added chain to the bar. We do them with a straight bar, ez bar and log bar. Stender is doing really good. He brings the right attitude into the garage. It won't be long until he starts seeing some big improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    Wow, talk about a serious turn in your training

Floor skull crushers? How do those work, just like regular skull crushers but lying on the floor?
    See below. I thought they were JM presses by the way I'd heard them described, but Ron had mentioned skullcrushers. Hence why I put them in quotes. Ron's having me do stuff I've never even heard of before.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
    Nice journal Stender, let me pull up a $4 Walmart camping chair as I follow along.
    Hahaha. When they were stolen, it wasn't a big deal. Now, one of those $4 Walmart chairs are my computer chair, my patio chair, and my TV watching chair. I think it's falling apart though, so it might be time for a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron C
    They were actually JM press on the floor. They are normally done with added chain to the bar. We do them with a straight bar, ez bar and log bar. Stender is doing really good. He brings the right attitude into the garage. It won't be long until he starts seeing some big improvements.
    Everyone else did them with the regular bar with the chains of them. Since I'm a weakling, I got the EZ bar. Someday though...

And thanks for the compliments, I'm looking forward to seeing what I can accomplish with you guys.

DEFINITELY a good thing to lift with people a lot stronger than you, assuming they know what they are doing. It'll make it a lot easier for you to fulfill your potential... which basically means your strength is going to go way up if you lift hard and consistently.

starting strength coach development program
    Last nights workout, ME Day, Lower Body.

Box Squats with camber barbell
    Warmups
    8x3 - 185 lbs

Hyperextensions
    3x15 holding a 10 lb plate

Standing Ab Crunches
    2x10-15 - Unknown

Again, all numbers are approximate since I'm still not keeping track of what I'm doing. I just lift the weight as best I can.

Pretty sore today, but not too bad. Those camber bar squats are tough since you have to hold the bar in place so it doesn't swing off your shoulders. Hyperextensions sealed the deal at the end.

The drive to the garage was pretty crappy. Took me an hour and 20 minutes. In 100+ degree weather with no air and no radio, well, it wasn't the greatest. Hopefully I'll be able to get the truck fixed in the next couple weeks, since my girlfriend should be getting some money back from financial aid.

Ron's having me do a diet log for the week to see what I can do to improve (which will be a lot). So that's a good thing. Even though I've ate nothing but crap since last night.

I guess I should mention I was pretty drained last night too. I had only got about three hours of sleep, since it took me about 5 1/2 hours of tossing and turning to finally fall asleep. That, plus the drive there in the heat wiped me out before I lifted the first weight.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast