Thread: J2K - Training Log

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Wednesday, July 26, 2023

1000-Pound Club

BP: 250x1 PR
    DL: 410x1
    SQ: 340x1 PR

Happy to say that the Mock Meet(tm) today went well. The PRs were just 5-lbs more than I'd been doing, so not a big stretch.

I was a little worried about the deadlift, as I haven't pulled that much since my 420x3 PR, which was Jan. 2022. In my recent cycles where I deadlift once a week, I've hit singles close to 410 and done rep work at 10% lower ranges. My recovery is not great, so I think the sub-maximal cycles have been a good compromise with lower stress, but still some modest progress.

Further shocking update! I have been doing some cardio (if a 15-minute walk counts as cardio). I think it has raised my work capacity and improved my recovery, without interfering with any training since it is so minimal.

I plan to stick with sub-maximal cycles for now, but I'll have to think more about future programming.

Outstanding, J!

Monday, July 31, 2023

Testify Strength & Conditioning in Omaha, Nebraska

SQ: 280x3x3
    OP: 155x5x3 (5,5,4,1)

Made a visit to Testify, while passing through Omaha--pretty awesome! Definitely lived up to all the videos I've watched. Coach Barb Mueller straightened out my squat a bit, and she approved the depth of over half of my work set reps, which I was pretty happy with. Coach was not impressed with my nonexistent shrug on the press. My excuse was that she could probably tell that I haven't been coached in a while, but I got the shrug going! Got to meet the Meggers family as well. Really a great visit--great gym, great folks!

Thursday, Sept. 21, 2023

OP: 169x1x5
    SQ: 345x1 PR

This squat single PR was a long time in coming, as it took me eight weeks to get through the five-week cycle that was supposed to lead to this PR. Didn't get to the gym four days a week, which is what dragged it out. However, I kept at it, it wasn't too stressful, and I was happy to get the PR.

Good to know that you're continuing to grind it out, J. Congrats on that PR!

Keep at it!

Thursday, Sept. 28, 2023

OP: 162x3x3
    DL: 405x1

I'm posting just a few comments on training sessions over the last couple months.

I've really dialed it back on the deadlift. I'm doing two triples one week, and a heavier single the next week. When I pulled on this one, it did not move, and I stopped right away. Textbook error, as you need to be patient and keep pulling. I asked one of the regulars to come to the platform and give me a five-count while I tried again. Of course, it came up O.K. once I had the counting cue to focus me on sustaining the pulling effort.

Tuesday, Oct. 31, 2023

BP: 210x5x3
    SQ: 350x1 PR

As I mentioned, I am doing sub-maximal cycles. I hit almost all the workouts on this five-week cycle, so the cycle leading to this PR went long by only a couple of days. The squat felt slow to come out of the hole. However, the form held good with a decent stretch reflex at the bottom, and the rep did not end up being a grind. Depth was probably pretty close, but no video to confirm (conveniently).

Congrats on all your PR's on this page going all the way back to your mock meet in July. Your sub-maximal cycles seem to be working well especially with as you said "not great recovery". Those are good lifetime poundage's for people at any age.

Thanks, Fred J--hope you feel better soon!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks J! I am back up and running now. I am more interested in hearing about your "sub-maximal" cycles. Is that someones program or something you came up with?

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast