starting strength gym

Thread: Defeating the diabetes and depression

Default Defeating the diabetes and depression

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm approaching 60 (less than a month to go), male, living in Brisbane, Australia.

I've done strength training in the past, but the last place I lived there was no-where to set up the gym, so the strength training didn't happen--it's been yonks since I moved any metal (yonks is a time period best measured in years, but exactly how many I don't recall).

I have both depression and diabetes, and just now doctor is yelling at me about my blood sugar levels being out of control, so I need to do something. I now live somewhere I can set up the gym, so I've cleared out a space in the garage and set up.

Sunday, 11th August 2024

Legs

Zercher Squat
    • 20 kg × 5 ✓
    • 25 kg × 5 ✓
    • 30 kg × 5 ✓
    • 35 kg × 5 ✓
    • 40 kg × 5 ✓
    • 40 kg × 5 ✓
    • 40 kg × 5 ✓
    • 40 kg × 5 ✓
    • 40 kg × 10 ✓

Clearly this weight was too light as there was still quite a bit left in the muscles at the end of the 10 reps in the last set, but the cardio was failing due to the cold last week.

Low Push

Bench Dip
    • 80 kg bw + 0 kg × 5 ✓
    • 80 kg bw + 0 kg × 5 ✓

Flat Dip
    • 80 kg bw + 0 kg × 5 ✓
    • 80 kg bw + 0 kg × 5 ✓

Dip
    • 80 kg bw + 0 kg × 0 ✗
    • 80 kg bw + 0 kg × 0 ✗
    • 80 kg bw + 0 kg × 0 ✗
    • 80 kg bw + 0 kg × 0 ✗
    • 80 kg bw + 0 kg × 0 ✗

The warmups were supersetted into the work sets for the squats to reduce the workout length.

I couldn’t get a single rep. This ended up as 5 single negatives. This was previously an exercise I struggled with, so I’m not too worried about this.

High Pull

High Row
    • 5 kg × 5 ✓
    • 6¹⁄₄ kg × 5 ✓
    • 7¹⁄₂ kg × 5 ✓
    • 8³⁄₄ kg × 5 ✓
    • 10 kg × 5 ✓
    • 10 kg × 5 ✓
    • 10 kg × 5 ✓
    • 10 kg × 5 ✓
    • 10 kg × 10 ✓

The warmups were supersetted into the work sets for the dips to reduce the workout length.

Clearly this weight was too light as there was still quite a bit left in the muscles at the end of the 10 reps in the last set, but the cardio was failing due to the cold last week.

Biceps

Bicep Curls
    • 5 kg × 5 ✓
    • 7¹⁄₂ kg × 5 ✓
    • 10 kg × 5 ✓
    • 10 kg × 5 ✓

A vanity lift, so only two work sets. This exercise was supersetted into the work sets for the dips.

Hinge

Romanian Deadlift
    • 20 kg × 5 ✓
    • 25 kg × 5 ✓
    • 30 kg × 5 ✓
    • 35 kg × 5 ✓
    • 40 kg × 5 ✓
    • 40 kg × 5 ✓
    • 40 kg × 5 ✓
    • 40 kg × 5 ✓
    • 40 kg × 10 ✓

The warmups were supersetted into the work sets for the high row to reduce the workout length.

Due to the power rack being difficult to adjust, this was done by conventional deadlifting the bar from the floor, then doing the RDLs from the top.

Low Pull

Barbell Row
    • 10 kg × 5 ✓
    • 12¹⁄₂ kg × 5 ✓
    • 15 kg × 5 ✓
    • 17¹⁄₂ kg × 5 ✓
    • 20 kg × 5 ✓
    • 20 kg × 5 ✓
    • 20 kg × 5 ✓
    • 20 kg × 5 ✓
    • 20 kg × 10 ✓

The warmups were supersetted into the work sets for the RDLs.

Clearly this weight was too light as there was still a bit left in the muscles at the end of the 10 reps in the last set, but the cardio was failing due to the cold last week.

High Push

Military Press
    • 10 kg × 5 ✓
    • 12¹⁄₂ kg × 5 ✓
    • 15 kg × 5 ✓
    • 17¹⁄₂ kg × 5 ✓
    • 20 kg × 5 ✓
    • 20 kg × 4 ✗
    • 20 kg × 4 ✗
    • 20 kg × 4 ✗
    • 20 kg × 4 ✗

The warmups were supersetted into the work sets for the RDLs.

This lift was supersetted with the rows as they were using exactly the same weight.

Multiple choice question:
    1. My overhead pressing is FUBAR;
    2. I was exhausted by this point in time due to too many exercises;
    3. I was exhausted by this point in time due to the cold last week;
    4. All of the above.

Calves

Single Leg Calf Raises
    • 80 kg bw + 0 kg × 5 ✓
    • 80 kg bw + 5 kg × 5 ✓
    • 80 kg bw + 10 kg × 5 ✓
    • 80 kg bw + 10 kg × 10 ✓

This lift was supersetted with the work sets for rows and press to reduce the workout duration.

Clearly this weight was too light as there was still a bit left in the muscles at the end of the 10 reps in the last set (more left in the right leg), but the cardio was failing due to the cold last week.

The power rack appears to have picked up some damage either during either the last couple of house moves or the years in storage, as one side was really difficult to adjust (hit the cross bar with a rubber mallet difficult). Solutions to this would be (in order of cost and complexity):
    • Hand sand the columns to smooth the finish (but not remove it), insert a dry lube into the mechanism and hope for the best;
    • Pull the rack to pieces, sand off the finish (and specks of rust), repaint the columns, ream out the plastic blocks that act as sliders;
    • Pull the rack to pieces, drill out the pin holes to about 32 mm (1¹⁄₄″) and drill them right through both sides of the column, buy two 28.5 mm (1¹⁄₈″) bars, and use them as the safety bars.