starting strength gym
Page 1472 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 472972137214221462147014711472147314741482152215721972 ... LastLast
Results 14,711 to 14,720 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Sigh, more drama this morning. Client doing cleans and dropping them, guy comes over to complain, he'd obviously been working up his courage to do it since he was quite aggressive.

We've had this discussion with managers before: why do we have bumper plates if you don't want us to drop them?

Not sure why dropping bumper plates is a problem, but medicine ball slams are okay. Sigh.

Just for fun, I looked up how the old-school guys did it during the 3-lift era, and it appears they mostly jerked with thumbs but pressed thumbless. Bud Charniga concurs (for what that's worth....he's not necessarily right, given his tendency towards extremes) and cites a Soviet paper, (Rodionov et al.) concluding that thumbless was the way to go (but like Bud, Soviet sports scientists are not necessarily right either).

Quote Originally Posted by greywar View Post
    The Gym we joined is in our garage...

Since I am 40 and out of shape Icy Hot is present in many forms in several places around the gym and house.

This morning my 6 year old maced herself with a can of it thinking it was sunscreen.

Happy Mom's day!

(she is fine BTW just was a lesson learned about label reading....)
    My 15 year old would probably do the same thing. But I'd get lip about it instead of tears :-D
    Last edited by depictureboy; 05-12-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Seen in the gym tonight: guy doing hang cleans with 135 then doing 3/4 squats with the same weight. With a belt.

Also, jigsaw puzzles. Only at Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    Sigh, more drama this morning. Client doing cleans and dropping them, guy comes over to complain, he'd obviously been working up his courage to do it since he was quite aggressive.

We've had this discussion with managers before: why do we have bumper plates if you don't want us to drop them?

Not sure why dropping bumper plates is a problem, but medicine ball slams are okay. Sigh.
    What the hell is wrong with people? Who cares if you drop a weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybrwzrd View Post
    What the hell is wrong with people? Who cares if you drop a weight.
    Within a few months of starting as a trainer, I was called into the manager's office and cautioned for getting people to squat below parallel.

Some people are offended by productive training.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    I don't have any free-body diagrams or simulations for you, but I think the consensus (for what that's worth) is that thumbless allows for more weight pressed. I can vouch for that myself (again, for what that's worth...). It's not recommended for bench for obvious reasons, but for OHP it's fine. RE: the neck issues, guys miss jerks behind all the time and every single time, it's a simple matter of taking a step forward to get out of the way.
    The benefit I get out of thumbless grip is that it lets me get my elbows under the bar a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post

Because one of them is real training, and therefore makes other people uncomfortable.

There's a group of young guys in my gym that I call 'The Accountants' (because they're accountants). Nice guys. Yesterday, whilst I was warming up to squat, three of them came in holding a piece of paper, and stood around looking at it, while one of them said, "What's first?". They proceeded to alternate between a bunch of light-weight exercises, and a whole bunch of jumpity-jack, hoppity-scotch looking silly bullshit, occasionally pausing for one to ask "What's next?" while looking at the sheet again.

At some point, I sent a text to my wife, who was still on her way to the gym, that said, "One of the accountants must've gotten a new issue of Men's Health". When she walked in and looked around, she laughed a little and said, "It looks like a damn circus in here."

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    There's a group of young guys in my gym that I call 'The Accountants' (because they're accountants).
    Seems reasonable.
    ---
    Nice guys. Yesterday, whilst I was warming up to squat, three of them came in holding a piece of paper, and stood around looking at it, while one of them said, "What's first?". They proceeded to alternate between a bunch of light-weight exercises, and a whole bunch of jumpity-jack, hoppity-scotch looking silly bullshit, occasionally pausing for one to ask "What's next?" while looking at the sheet again.
    I'm getting angry.
    ---
    At some point, I sent a text to my wife, who was still on her way to the gym. . . When she walked in and looked around, she laughed a little and said, "It looks like a damn circus in here."
    Your wife sounds dignified: She appreciates a circus with one strong silver back gorilla, and 3 clowns.

M-T