starting strength gym
Page 1622 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 6221122152215721612162016211622162316241632167217222122 ... LastLast
Results 16,211 to 16,220 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Well, the squats were all high. So it can go here, sorta. Thanks for posting, it was fun to watch. When are you gonna enter, Herbthor Seansson?
    Right after I win the Olympic discus final.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Right after I win the Olympic discus final.
    Does low-bar squat strength even transfer to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schuant View Post
    Bear in mind these guidelines are for big companies. If you have 1,000 employees, your guidelines have to keep the weakest and most hopeless person among those 1,000 people safe. The bottom 0.1%.
    I reckon they're for office staff who cry like a girl* and run away if they're asked to lift anything heavier than a pen. This includes my boss.

*No offence to girls. One of the best ground crew at the companies I deliver to is a fifty five year old women who can handle awkward loads up the 45kg mark with perfect form for the type of lift. She keeps a dead straight back, and asks for help if it's too much - unlike the male heroes who stagger about on their own with horribly bent spines even after I've told them it's too heavy and offered to help.
    Last edited by Skel; 01-11-2015 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Does low-bar squat strength even transfer to that?
    Well, if you build muscles lifting weights, you build muscles that aren't specifically adapted to throwing the discus.

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    Well, if you build muscles lifting weights, you build muscles that aren't specifically adapted to throwing the discus.
    What you talkin' bout, flibble?

World's Strongest Man 2014 is up on Youtube.

Prelims here
    Finals here

Oops. Meant to put this in Thread of Awesome. Oh well.
    Watched that this weekend, it was awesome. Do you guys think those squats were really 725lbs? I can't believe they managed so many reps when it was so late in the competition. Amazing strength and conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    "That's not how this works! That's not how any of this works!"

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    Watched that this weekend, it was awesome. Do you guys think those squats were really 725lbs? I can't believe they managed so many reps when it was so late in the competition. Amazing strength and conditioning.
    Yes, but keep in mind it's not like squatting 725 with a normal barbell. I've only made it through the first two prelim heats so far, but I'm assuming it's some kind of fixed rig, like normal. This takes the balance aspect out of it, and they can usually bounce off the floor a bit. Most of them also wear at least squat briefs, and they're all enormously strong anyway, so it's not beyond belief.

Oh, and if it was the squat where they've got the two round ends and have to hit the platforms, those are usually a bit higher than parallel, and the athletes with good timing can get a significant rebound off them as well. I'll have to see what you're talking about to be sure, but I don't doubt the weight.
    Last edited by Sean Herbison; 01-12-2015 at 10:25 AM.

Yes, but keep in mind it's not like squatting 725 with a normal barbell. I've only made it through the first two prelim heats so far, but I'm assuming it's some kind of fixed rig, like normal. This takes the balance aspect out of it, and they can usually bounce off the floor a bit. Most of them also wear at least squat briefs, and they're all enormously strong anyway, so it's not beyond belief.

Oh, and if it was the squat where they've got the two round ends and have to hit the platforms, those are usually a bit higher than parallel, and the athletes with good timing can get a significant rebound off them as well. I'll have to see what you're talking about to be sure, but I don't doubt the weight.
    Well the squats were actually with a free barbell and they had to walk them out, which was cool. But they squatted to safeties that were set to slightly higher than parallel (announcer says this is for joint health!) and they can bounce off the safeties, so I get that's not a pure 725 squat. Still damn impressive though.

Do they do these all over a weekend, a day? Over several weeks? How does it work? To nail 12 reps @ 725lb even with the slightly high squat after days of competition is damn impressive.

starting strength coach development program
    Saw a guy today using the decline bench backwards as an incline bench...right next to the empty incline bench.