starting strength gym
Page 2072 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 1072157219722022206220702071207220732074208221222172 ... LastLast
Results 20,711 to 20,720 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyprelude View Post
    It looks like he pulled that using a strapless, DOH grip. I am amazed.
    Hook grip variant - "As always, I'm using a hook grip (thumbs wrapped around my middle fingers)". No less amazing. Anyone else use a 'thumbs outside' hook?
    Last edited by Toasterleavings; 06-20-2016 at 05:31 PM.

I know curls in a squat rack are nothing new. But this was this dude's only set.

June 20, 2016 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    His valsava came out the other end.
    Just spit coffee all over my computer, in laughter...

Quote Originally Posted by Erok View Post
    Best story I've read here in some time. You're obviously raising your daughter right. Hope you had a great Father's Day.

NO, no sarcasm or anything like that - truly serious. Trying to not laugh out loud at work right now. Tears in eyes.
    Thanks, Father's day was rad!

My kids come to motorcycle & car races/shows with me, random 'fitness centers' and the gym, etc; They get to see the full gamut of assholes.

My 6 year old son was with us, too... he wanted to deadlift. No bar, so he proceeds to try atlas stone lifts with a full 5 gallon water jug for the cooler... while my 4 year old daughter is dancing in the mirrorl. Up until the point where Mr. Bench came in, we were the only ones in the fitness center.

I heard a pair of men discussing the Orlando shooting and making wild claims. I was like "OMG, E&P IRL".

It's so weird, whenever I start at a new gym, I have a feeling that everyone thinks I will die in the squat rack or seriously injure myself. I wonder if I look weird. But I feel fine. Then they get used to me and my squats and the gym is a chill place. Sometimes, I can't concentrate if there is a lot of bro chat going on, which is often if there are enough people. So I try to get there early at 7 AM before there are many people, or when the people are tired. I like to get a coffee in the morning and sip it on the train to the gym.

So I don't know if I'm the weird guy in the gym that looks funny.

Generally, now that I am older, I find it difficult to laugh at other people who don't know what they're doing. I was there once too. At the same time, the guys that lift and look in the mirror the entire time really confuse me, not sure why this is. I saw a guy deadlifting and every time he got close to locking out he would look to the side, into the mirror, maybe to check his form?

I don't think gyms should have mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by squatguy View Post
    At the same time, the guys that lift and look in the mirror the entire time really confuse me, not sure why this is. I saw a guy deadlifting and every time he got close to locking out he would look to the side, into the mirror, maybe to check his form?
    I don't think gyms should have mirrors.
    this. All the time people will look to the side while squatting or deadlifting to check form. Can't believe this isn't a common sense thing not to do . . . the back/spine is a fickle thing, twisting, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Toasterleavings View Post
    Hook grip variant - "As always, I'm using a hook grip (thumbs wrapped around my middle fingers)". No less amazing. Anyone else use a 'thumbs outside' hook?
    I do keep my thumbs over my first two fingers when DL . Just seems a natural way for me to grip.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    I know curls in a squat rack are nothing new. But this was this dude's only set.

June 20, 2016 - YouTube
    LOL, nice "shoulder curls"! (he doesn't come ANYWHERE close to fully extending the elbow).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post

June 20, 2016 - YouTube
    And his heels go up each time

Sent from the bowels of hell