starting strength gym
Page 69 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 19596768697071791191695691069 ... LastLast

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    High bar squat into calve raise.
    This is a favorite at the YMCA. Except it's a high bar quarter squat into calve raise.

Next April cannot come soon enough.

-Hat

High bar squat into calve raise.
    This reminded me, I once saw a guy alternating 1/2 squats in the smith machine with calf raises in the squat rack...

Quote Originally Posted by Marotta View Post
    This reminded me, I once saw a guy alternating 1/2 squats in the smith machine with calf raises in the squat rack...
    that guy is high.

Do bench work with no overhead pressing. Get a horrible shoulder injury. Go to PT. Start benching again with 1/5 ROM and no overhead work because "I don't think my shoulders could take it."

Guy doing deadlifts with belt moving a decent amount of weight, I thought to myself awesome someone else who knows whats going on. Directly after his deads, he proceeds to the chinup bar tightens his belt up another notch and starts hammering out belted chins.

Do bench work with no overhead pressing. Get a horrible shoulder injury. Go to PT. Start benching again with 1/5 ROM and no overhead work because "I don't think my shoulders could take it."
    Having been this person before, this makes me rage. I don't understand how doctors and physical therapists can be so ignorant as to how the body functions.

A doctor can fucking cut open some dude's chest, bypass a a blockage in a heart valve using a valve harvested from a pig but he can't figure out how certain muscles work and interact. Mind boggling.

Today at my gym:

You know how some people do that thing where they snap their fingers rapidly by putting their thumb and index finger together and shaking their hand violently?

A guy did that to celebrate a set of cable tricep pushdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    Having been this person before, this makes me rage. I don't understand how doctors and physical therapists can be so ignorant as to how the body functions.

A doctor can fucking cut open some dude's chest, bypass a a blockage in a heart valve using a valve harvested from a pig but he can't figure out how certain muscles work and interact. Mind boggling.
    I saw a govt allocated therapist a couple days ago. She was annoyed that I hadnt stopped pressing in favour of doing light rubber band exercises.
    I explained that I spent most of last year diligently doing thorough "rotator cuff" work and my shoulders have never felt so good/been as reliable since I dropped it all for overhead presses.

I wanted to work with her, and use her skills & knowledge of diagnosis. So I was especially nice, tactful and polite to her.

I tried to explain that I wanted to continue doing my lifting because they were only having a positive effect and I would fit her exercises around them. But she got really annoyed that I was being "non-compliant" and started suggesting that I leave. When I suggested to her that she was blaming/dismissing things she had no personal experience of (barbell pressing) ... guess what?

The whole thing escalated into her nearly being in tears, (she was welling up and emotional).

Somehow brought the the situation back down, she agreed to let me keep coming in the end. But she was upset and I felt terrible. I brought my copy of SS with me as it explains the effects of the press on the shoulders really well, but she refused to read it. Instead she used it to poke fun at me, I let her (as you need to do with women) to let her feel some authority in the situation. Thats how I got her to calm down, by acting dumb and letting her feel she had won. (even though I wasnt trying to debate).

Funny stuff she said to me includes:

"5 reps is not nearly enough for building strength, thats more for bodybuilders wanting to achieve Atrophy." (yes she said atrophy instead of hypertrophy)

"All the worlds scientists sat down & agreed that 12-15 reps was the best for building strength"

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I saw a govt allocated therapist a couple days ago. She was annoyed that I hadnt stopped pressing in favour of doing light rubber band exercises.
    I explained that I spent most of last year diligently doing thorough "rotator cuff" work and my shoulders have never felt so good/been as reliable since I dropped it all for overhead presses.

I wanted to work with her, and use her skills & knowledge of diagnosis. So I was especially nice, tactful and polite to her.

I tried to explain that I wanted to continue doing my lifting because they were only having a positive effect and I would fit her exercises around them. But she got really annoyed that I was being "non-compliant" and started suggesting that I leave. When I suggested to her that she was blaming/dismissing things she had no personal experience of (barbell pressing) ... guess what?

The whole thing escalated into her nearly being in tears, (she was welling up and emotional).

Somehow brought the the situation back down, she agreed to let me keep coming in the end. But she was upset and I felt terrible. I brought my copy of SS with me as it explains the effects of the press on the shoulders really well, but she refused to read it. Instead she used it to poke fun at me, I let her (as you need to do with women) to let her feel some authority in the situation. Thats how I got her to calm down, by acting dumb and letting her feel she had won. (even though I wasnt trying to debate).

Funny stuff she said to me includes:

"5 reps is not nearly enough for building strength, thats more for bodybuilders wanting to achieve Atrophy." (yes she said atrophy instead of hypertrophy)

"All the worlds scientists sat down & agreed that 12-15 reps was the best for building strength"
    Those are some epic quotes there. Just thinking about this situation annoyed the karp out of me.