starting strength gym
Page 524 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 2442447451452252352452552653457462410241524 ... LastLast
Results 5,231 to 5,240 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    That's hot

Ok. Time for me to tell my tale of gym woe

Today I decide to check my squat 1RM. Huge black guy next to me (265ish) is warming up for squats on the squat rack (no safety pins, slanted thingy).

Me: empty bar for 10 reps
    Him: 135 for 8 reps 1/4 squats (OK whatever)
    Me: 135x5 ass to grass
    Him: 225x8 1/4 squats (OK... I see where this is going)
    Me: 185x3
    Him: 315x8 with 8" depth (OK ...hmmm)
    Me: 225x3 (I'm thinking wow what a terrible warm up. 90lb? jumps)
    Him: Now he breaks outs the knee wraps. (I'm thinking you definitely want to stabilize your knee if you only do 1/4 squats) and does 405x8 8" ROM
    Me: 275x3 (easy peasy, lemon squeasy)
    Him: resting
    Me: 315x3 (whistling while I work)
    Him: Getting a little defensive. Decides to load up to 495 (with no safety pins mind you)
    Me: 365x3
    Him: 495x8 (OMG what is that)
    Me: 385x2
    Me: 395x1 405x1 415x1
    Him: (Talking to another guy who commented on the two of us. "Ya, it is different styles of squat. Some people have good knees, some people don't")
    Me: (smirking) 425x1
    Him: another set of 495x8 knee bends
    Me: 435x1 of ass-to-grass Olympic style squats. New PR.

Highlight:
    Quarter squats are a "style" like high-bar or low-bar

Quote Originally Posted by russrobot View Post
    Ok. Time for me to tell my tale of gym woe

Today I decide to check my squat 1RM. Huge black guy next to me (265ish) is warming up for squats on the squat rack (no safety pins, slanted thingy).

Me: empty bar for 10 reps
    Him: 135 for 8 reps 1/4 squats (OK whatever)
    Me: 135x5 ass to grass
    Him: 225x8 1/4 squats (OK... I see where this is going)
    Me: 185x3
    Him: 315x8 with 8" depth (OK ...hmmm)
    Me: 225x3 (I'm thinking wow what a terrible warm up. 90lb? jumps)
    Him: Now he breaks outs the knee wraps. (I'm thinking you definitely want to stabilize your knee if you only do 1/4 squats) and does 405x8 8" ROM
    Me: 275x3 (easy peasy, lemon squeasy)
    Me: 315x3 (whistling while I work)
    Him: Getting a little defensive. Decides to load up to 495 (with no safety pins mind you)
    Me: 365x3
    Him: 495x8 (OMG what is that)
    Me: 385x2
    Me: 395x1 405x1 415x1
    Him: (Talking to another guy who commented on the two of us. "Ya, it is different styles of squat. Some people have good knees, some people don't")
    Me: (smirking) 425x1
    Him: another set of 495x8 knee bends
    Me: 435x1 of ass-to-grass Olympic style squats. New PR.

Highlight:
    Dude, dont do some many fucking heavy reps before you 1RM test.

Quote Originally Posted by ZonaLifter View Post
    Big ass buff bro does "shrugs" with 495. I used quotes because he pulled the thing off the pins of the squat rack and jumped up and down using momentum to "shrug". I commend him for being able to lift 495 off the pins, but let's analyze what he was really doing. He made of show of having to walk across the gym to get more 45's. Then he did the 495 "shrugs" super loud so everyone had to turn around and look. Then he was done. I guess the rule is..do one set of really fucking heavy weights really fucking loud so that everyone has to look at you so you don't ever have to do more than one set of really fucking heavy weights to get noticed.

Later two bros had the bar on the lowest pin of the squat rack. They hooked their ankles over the bar, put their hands on two dumbbells sitting on end, while one would put a 45 on the back of the other. Now, I believe they were trying to do pushups like that, but couldn't, so they played it off as doing some sort of isometric hold or something. Truly astounding faggotry.

Finally, saw two bros in matching olive drab keffiyehs. You have to be trendy AND tactical in the gym or the terrorists win.

Did the shrugs look like this: http://startingstrength.com/index.ph..._barbell_shrug

Just wondering because even rips shrugs have small ROM and are done for 1 heavy set of 5 as that is usually more than enough. I think Starr advocates the kind of shrug you described too, however, I may be wrong as I havent read it in a while and my memory is hazy.

Lol @ the dudes with shemags- are you deployed? I can't imagine how strange that would be in a commercial gym!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    65 kilos. Im a little detrained. I did my BW for singles earlier this year 80kg. I only weigh 75kg now.

This girl probably weighed 55-60kg and was snatching 50kg for light technique reps and push pressing 60kg like it was nothing.

Ah yeah iirc you had med exams and went MIA. Would be good if u started training again I remember I used to follow your log.

Quote Originally Posted by russrobot View Post
    Yeah i've been told that before as well.

Apparently "only a few people" can actually squat the way I do (as in, below parallel).

that's a pretty common way to warm up for 1RM

i take it you don't compete

fuck. now they have "ememey" in my gym. there's this old dude who trains (most probably hasn't fought yet even in underground circuits) "ememey" and apparently became a guru for this shit and teaches his friends at the gym. before they only train "ground" but now my gym has a big punching bag. the best part is, it is 3 feet away from the lone squat rack. my chance of dying in the gym has risen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    65 kilos. Im a little detrained. I did my BW for singles earlier this year 80kg. I only weigh 75kg now.
    2,500 posts and you're front squatting 65kg?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodninja666 View Post
    Dude, dont do some many fucking heavy reps before you 1RM test.
    Agreed. I'd probably stop at 365 or 385.

starting strength coach development program
    Its a miracle I can squat at all. I have tore the meniscii, and (at least partiallyif not more) tore two of my cruciate ligaments a couple years back. My leg was fucked up bad, and the normal prognosis for someone like me would be a major repair surgery. Which I never had. I used squats as rehab, which helped strengthen what was left of my ligaments. Ive been told I probably got injured so bad from something so simple, because I have underlying instability in my knees from shallow throchlear grooves and the beginnings of arthiritis (in my twenties!).

I have some kind of problem with connective tissues/joints in my whole body. I have fucked shoulders, wrists, neck and spine to some extent.

I am certain I could get my front squat to 100kg/two plates this year if my wrists hold up and I dont have disruptions in my training. I did 80kg months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    2,500 posts and you're front squatting 65kg?

Agreed. I'd probably stop at 365 or 385.