starting strength gym
Page 51 of 517 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage gyms

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric220 View Post
    Why are the bumpers hanging above the chin up bar?
    I think they are wall ball targets.. could be wrong tho

Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    I think they are wall ball targets.. could be wrong tho
    You got it. Finally found a use for busted 10's and 15's.

Quote Originally Posted by jonneyfletch View Post
    Pretty smart. How tall is that rig? Looks like it's huge!

Quote Originally Posted by jonneyfletch View Post
    Awesome. BTW, I'm jealous of your setup.

Does anyone have or use a landmine? Whether its the one you load plates on or attach to your rack?

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    Pretty smart. How tall is that rig? Looks like it's huge!
    They're 16' 4x6's with 4' of the length underground.

Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    Does anyone have or use a landmine? Whether its the one you load plates on or attach to your rack?
    I have one we can slot into a weight plate. It's this one. Played with it for a bit, didn't find it that useful for general strength training. I suspect if we had discus throwers or similar it'd be useful, I don't know though. We just have novice and intermediate lifters, for them the kettlebells, barbells and chinup bar are enough. The main use I got out of it was when I had a guy who'd had a recent shoulder reconstruction, he couldn't get into a front or back squat with a barbell, and couldn't press directly overhead, so we used that as a substitute.

I just bought 15m2 of rubber matting, and will be getting a rack and a new barbell. We're expanding to the full two-car garage.

Things are going well, yes. About half the people enquiring to come and train are from rural areas or interstate, have been doing the lifts on their own and want a bit of extra help with technique and programming. It's not something I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schuant View Post
    Things are going well, yes. About half the people enquiring to come and train are from rural areas or interstate, have been doing the lifts on their own and want a bit of extra help with technique and programming. It's not something I expected.
    Brisbane is hardly rural, Kyle. Interstate I'll grant you .

This is where I got my rack too BTW: http://torontobarbell.bravesites.com

Can be customized six ways from Sunday, including for low ceiling height.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schuant View Post
    About half the people enquiring to come and train are from rural areas or interstate, have been doing the lifts on their own and want a bit of extra help with technique and programming. It's not something I expected.
    Well, I'm not in the big city we have 'round here (there are plenty of SSC's in New York, which is about an hour by car, or 2 by train from me), but this is actually the source of the vast majority of the inquiries I've received since earning the credential. Obviously there's something to be said about a recurring payment stream, but if you can do the one- and two-offs without compromising your other responsibilities, I'd think it could make up a good source of revenues for you. Obviously somebody who's going to come to you 2 or 3 times a week has to be your priority. Maybe you could come up with your own little 2- or 3-visit curriculum for these types of potential clients, and offer it as a package? Something like:

Day 1: lifter injury/history assessment, learning the squat, learning the press
    Day 2: squat review, bench press, deadlift, programming review
    Day 3: squat review, press review, power cleans, Q&A

Just a thought. Your situation is different than mine for a handful of reasons (I have a full-time day job, your facility is much larger, etc), but it's the internet, so offering unsolicited advice/suggestions is allowed, right?

starting strength coach development program
    Moving to a house with a basement with low ceiling. I think I've settled on this rack as soon as I can get the exact measurement of the ceiling.

Anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.titandistributorsinc.com/...l#.VRXQOvnF9tU