starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lever belts - can they pop open?

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've used the same inzer lever belt since 2012. Never had a concern with it whatsoever. It survived a 470 squat without opening even a tiny amount. I hope to see how it handles 500 later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    I've used the same inzer lever belt since 2012. Never had a concern with it whatsoever. It survived a 470 squat without opening even a tiny amount. I hope to see how it handles 500 later this year.
    I believe Ray Williams squatted 470kg not long ago with an SBD one, so hopefully it will hold up

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Bachmann View Post
    I'm sure it's a good purchase. Maybe you could share if and what you like or dislike, compared to a prong belt. I'm curious, as i don't want to buy another belt, just to end up buying a high end lever anyways.
    The disadvantage is the lack of flexibility. If you want to adjust it, you'll need a screwdriver. Anyways have fun with it!
    The SBD belt came in the mail today - haven't lifted with it yet, but I put it on and honestly, it feels broken in. Obviously it's new, I'm just trying to say it already feels extremely comfortable and sturdy. I'm deadlifting tonight, so I'll get back to you with some feedback.

I've got the SBD as well as Inzer lever and other prong belts. SBD is the best by far. It can be easily adjusted quickly and with no tools, tighter than a prong belt can.

The only issue is that my t shirts turn pink as sweat causes the red dye on the suede inner to bleed off. Must be water based dye as it washes out easily.

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    I've got the SBD as well as Inzer lever and other prong belts. SBD is the best by far. It can be easily adjusted quickly and with no tools, tighter than a prong belt can.

The only issue is that my t shirts turn pink as sweat causes the red dye on the suede inner to bleed off. Must be water based dye as it washes out easily.
    I've read about that issue a lot with this belt - I'll just wear t-shirts I'm less concerned with I guess

Quick question, one of the 4 allen screws on the back is not entirely flush with the belt. It's maybe raised ever so slightly, but still feels secure and won't move. Would you advise I try to force it flush with an allen key?

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts-nuts View Post
    I've read about that issue a lot with this belt - I'll just wear t-shirts I'm less concerned with I guess

Quick question, one of the 4 allen screws on the back is not entirely flush with the belt. It's maybe raised ever so slightly, but still feels secure and won't move. Would you advise I try to force it flush with an allen key?
    I would. Not much to happen, just don't overdo it.

Deadlifted tonight with the new belt. I was lifting 80-93%, so relatively heavy. Honest feedback - the belt doesn't even feel like it's breaking in. Other than feeling more supported and locked in than I did with my Inzer belt, I didn't feel an ounce of discomfort, pinching or digging into my ribs as I've read in some reviews. Then again I am on the heavier side, so that might be partially why.

Once you snap the lever shut you feel the belt is very fixed in place and tight.

Honestly I highly recommend it. Yes it's pricey, but I'll be selling my Inzer to offset some of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts-nuts View Post
    Deadlifted tonight with the new belt. I was lifting 80-93%, so relatively heavy. Honest feedback - the belt doesn't even feel like it's breaking in. Other than feeling more supported and locked in than I did with my Inzer belt, I didn't feel an ounce of discomfort, pinching or digging into my ribs as I've read in some reviews. Then again I am on the heavier side, so that might be partially why.

Once you snap the lever shut you feel the belt is very fixed in place and tight.

Honestly I highly recommend it. Yes it's pricey, but I'll be selling my Inzer to offset some of the cost.
    Thats good to hear, and thanks for sharing. I think I'll just wait a couple of months and go straight for an SBD instead of buying a prong belt inbetween.

Thats good to hear, and thanks for sharing. I think I'll just wait a couple of months and go straight for an SBD instead of buying a prong belt inbetween.
    That makes sense. I partially justified buying it by telling myself this will be the last belt I'll ever purchase.

I'm looking forward to squatting with it. I recently started using a belt for heavy bench reps and I really like it, so I'm hoping it'll translate over into even more stability there too.

starting strength coach development program
    They can pop open, also the lever can break. However, you can also fall down the stairs. If you close them right, nothing should happen. They just have that overlap where the belt closes, so they can be pretty uncomfortable.
    I hate the overlap. I have a lot of fat on my gut and when i push the lever, the friction between the suede and the t-shirt tend to push the fat all to one side. Although never used a prong belt, i don't think that would be a problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast