starting strength gym

Thread: Knowing your impressions about these racks

Default Knowing your impressions about these racks

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I want to buy a rack to stablish in my house. It´s more difficult to find quality racks here in Europe and what abounds is garbage. Despite this, I think I have found interesting models that could fit the SS training. Basically I'm looking for maximum safety when doing squats and bench presses. If it's not a bother, I would like to know your impressions and opinions before I make a decision.
    The text is in Spanish, but I am highlighting the fundamentals of each one of them.

Jaula Body-Solid GPR378 | Decathlon
    Look at the top left photo. Maximum weight of 500 kg. The safety bars seem to be very stiff because of their thickness. I think it is the one that inspires me the most confidence of all the models.

Body-Solid GPR400 Rack | Decathlon
    It supports a maximum weight of 450 kg.

https://www.decathlon.es/es/p/mp/dkn...0c9_c1&c=NEGRO
    It supports a maximum weight of 350 kg.

Body-Solid SPR1000 Rack | Decathlon
    It supports a maximum weight of 450 kg. The price goes up a bit compared to the rest.

Next up are half racks:

SQUAT RACK CON BARRA LARGA DE 170CM Y PESAS DE 2x5KG Y 2x10KG| MUSCULACION | Decathlon
    It supports a maximum weight of 300 kg.

https://www.decathlon.es/es/p/mp/tit...c1.c14&c=NEGRO
    It supports a maximum weight of 272 kg.

https://www.decathlon.es/es/p/mp/tit...c1.c14&c=NEGRO
    It doesn't specify the maximum support weight, but it could be an interesting option.

These racks are all junk, but they will fit your purposes. Buy the best one you can afford.

Look at hole spacing. It's critical to place the bar at the proper height for squats and bench press, so more holes = better. Also, hole size, and upright size: make sure it is standard so you can upgrade J-hooks or add dip bars in the future.

Chin-up bar height: higher is better for full range of motion.

The full racks are safer than the half racks for squats. Think about re-racking after a heavy set.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo View Post
    I own the RML-3 variant of this rack. It is quite sturdy and I feel very safe using it. The hole spacing is very convenient for setting safeties at just the right height. Other than price, only downside to the Rogue 3x3 racks is they are wide enough that you are likely to bump the barbell collars on the uprights from time to time if you are not careful.

I don't own that particular rack, but most people would say YES.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo View Post
    I have this exact rack. Love it. No regrets. Don’t overthink it, buy it and you will have a great rack

4DE148BA-7E0F-465E-B087-B27140381F78.jpg

Here is what my Rogue RML-390F looks like at the house. Complimented nicely by the Starting Strength bench.
    Bar is an Rogue Ohio bar.

starting strength coach development program
    I'd say yes. I've owned an RML-390F for about 3 years. It would serve you well. For the heck of it, I just looked at Rogue Fitness' EU site.
    Limited selection vs. the US site. But, you might seriously consider the RML-490C (or RML-490) instead. It is within a few inches of the same footprint as the RML-390F but will let you use band pegs, mount the Slinger and Lat Pulldown/Low Row seat. (You need the 490C version for the Slinger).

I don't see the Slinger listed on the EU site, so unless you can special order (or order through the US site and deal with all that entails) this may not matter to you. The extra space inside the 490 helps in a lot of little ways though.