starting strength gym

Thread: Moving to Small Garage - limited space platform Question

Default Moving to Small Garage - limited space platform Question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello all,

Now that I've broken a plank on the floor and punched the ceiling a few times in my newly renovated basement, it's time for me to move to the garage.

The only thing is I have limited space in my one car garage that I also use to store a bunch of other stuff, so my question is the following:

• Is there any reason why I would want to avoid putting my horse stall mats on either side of the cage (like in the pic) and deadlifting from within it?

This is meant to save space for me and I can't foresee an issue with it, but I figured I would double-check by leaning on people with more experience.

Thanks!
    Nic

Squat Rack.jpg

One thing that you'd want to be careful of is to try to make sure that there is enough distance between the wall and the nearest upright to keep the plates from hitting the wall - for anything you're doing within the rack. not just deadlifts. With space at a premium, you'll also want to be careful about your lateral clearance.

Are you planning on building out an actual platform, with layers of MDF/plywood? Not only does that spread out impact, it also allows you to bolt down the rack.

Also, do you have any idea of how level your basement floor is, in the area you're planning to use?