starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended models of weightlifting shoes

Default Recommended models of weightlifting shoes

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I want to buy some weightlifting shoes to use in my training. Do you recommend any particular model or brand?
    I was reading several SS articles about shoes. From what I understand, it is recommended that the sole be made of neoprene. Right?

What is important about neoprene?

You want a flat sole of hard, incompressible material, with a heel, and straps across the feet to keep the foot stable and compact. If neoprene does this, fine.

Where are you located? Europe has some options not available here in the USA.

I've always used Dowins and they have worked out great for me.

"it is recommended that the sole be made of neoprene. Right?" I'm not sure if this is a joke or a serious question. I'm answering it as serious and a bit non specific. The sole of the shoe has multiple materials. I'll call it they sole stack and the bottom surface. I'm not sure of the specific technical names. The sole stack needs to be a rigid as possible. So no, not neoprene. The bottom surface is a thin layer of material to provide traction. That is typically a neoprene like substance. I've never see a lifting she without a rubber/neoprene like surface on the bottom.

My first pair have hard plastic sole stack and my current Dowins have wooden soles. Both have a bottom surface of a flat neoprene type surface. My wooden soled ones have Vibram soles, but I asked the cobbler specifically to use that sole.

Hugo is right that the outsole material can vary. This article shows a neoprene sole and crepe side-by-side: Weightlifting Shoe Soles | Mark Rippetoe

I've had both and I prefer neoprene. Unfortunately, many modern lifting shoes aren't even built on a platform that's designed to be resoled. They're more or less designed to be consumables, thrown out once the sole has worn through. That's sad. The Do-Win is a good shoe with a roomy toe box and it is resoleable - at least the 'classic' version is. That may not be your only consideration in selecting a lifting shoe, however.

I referenced neoprene-soled shoes based on the content of this article. I don't know if it is true because I am not an expert in weightlifting shoes, but if the article was written by Mark Rippetoe I consider the information to be highly relevant. Weightlifting Shoe Soles | Mark Rippetoe

Yes, I am in Europe, specifically in Spain. If I want to buy weightlifting shoes I have to do it online, for example on Amazon. Physical sports stores do not sell shoes for this type of sport, at least where I live, which is not exactly in the most populated areas like Madrid or Barcelona. Obviously I know that the sole must be completely flat and hard, with some elevation in the heel.

Since I had never bought this type of shoes, I was informing myself by reading SS articles and watching tutorials on the channel about WL shoes.
    -So, based on what I read in this article, the ones with neoprene soles are the best?
    -Does the size usually correspond to what I usually wear?
    -And what brands and models of WL shoes do you recommend? In some of the videos the Adidas Powerlift is spoken very well. Are there more that are just as good?

PD: Oso Rojo (Red Bear), do you speak Spanish too? Are you from Spain too or from Latin America?

Do you know if the size of weightlifting shoes usually matches what you usually wear?

Hi Hugo, sizing varies by brand. I don't know of any shoe on the market currently that comes with a neoprene sole. The shoes in Rip's article needed to be resoled, so he had a neoprene sole put on by a cobbler. The sole in that article is made by Vibram. It's a very good one.

I've had the newer style do-wins and they have held up good so far. I've seen some reviews of the older style version not being as durable in recent runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo View Post
    PD: Oso Rojo (Red Bear), do you speak Spanish too? Are you from Spain too or from Latin America?

Do you know if the size of weightlifting shoes usually matches what you usually wear?
    hahaha, no on the spanish. My wife is from Queens NY and calls me the Bear. She was speaking with one of her friends one day and the nick names me the Red Bear because I have red hair, I'm cute and cuddling until I get tired of it and bite your head off, hahaha.

Regarding shoe size, I wear the same shoe size in lifting shoes as dress shoes and boots. I do like my lifting shoes snug so I tighten up the straps good and tight. if you are just starting out, order a pair of Rouge Dowins. They are inexpensive and work great. I still have mine but replaced them with the classic leather ones. These will likely be the ones they bury me in if I keep taking good care of them.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    The Do-Win is a good shoe with a roomy toe box and it is resoleable - at least the 'classic' version is.
    If you need to change the sole of your weightlifting shoes, like Rogue Do-Win Classic, can any shoemaker do it or do you have to send them to the factory?

starting strength coach development program
    The factory wants to sell shoes, not repair shoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast