starting strength gym

Thread: Dating Old York Barbell with 39” Knurl Marks

Default Dating Old York Barbell with 39” Knurl Marks

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    A few weeks ago I purchased some weight plates for a pretty good deal on Marketplace. Along with the plates, the guy gave me an old somewhat rusty barbell as well. I didn’t even look at it until I got home, but I was very excited to realize it was an old York Bar. After disassembling it, cleaning off the surface rust, and giving it some oil, it seems to be in great working condition other than the knurling seeming to be pretty worn down.

I was just curious if any of you guys might be able to help me date this bar? I don’t know much of anything about these old bars, but I did look on the inside of the collar when the bar was apart and there was no date or information stamped on it.

Here are the specs

-Bar length - 86.5”
    -Loadable sleeve length- 16”
    -16” of center space with no knurling
    -39” between knurl marks (this is what caught my eye because my understanding was that typically it was 36” for this type of bar)
    -I do not have the diameter, as I don’t have any calipers.

I will try to get some photos posted if I can figure out how to do it.

Here’s a video that should the bar.

York Barbell - YouTube

Also…it is definitely thinner than 29mm….I’m guessing it is probably 28mm.

Looks like an old Model 38.

Coach Rip,

Thank you for that info. I did a search but couldn’t find anything about when the model 38 was manufactured? Do you have any genera idea on that?

I assume the 39” knurl markings were previous to when 36” was standardized for Olympic lifting?

The Model 38 began production in ... wait for it ... 1938. I think they changed to the newer dimensions in the early 1960s, but I don't know for sure. Specific questions like that should be directed to John Turpac, who is currently dead.

starting strength coach development program
    Well since Mr. Turpac isn’t available at the moment I will have to be content knowing that my bar was manufactured somewhere between 1938 and somewhere in the early 60s. Thanks again for your time and knowledge.