starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rogue ES-1 squat stand

Default Rogue ES-1 squat stand

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Yo

Anyone have any solutions for the lack of spotter arms for this thing? I have the 2"x2" version and the infinity arms apparently won't work with it. The weights are getting heavy and I'm old now so I need a plan. Thanks.

You need a power rack.

I know I need to get of disability first then I can convince my wife. There's no way I'm going to the local globo gyms. In the mean time I suppose I'll play it a bit safe.

More information might be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    More information might be helpful.
    I was diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma . Lost partial hearing in my right ear out of nowhere after COVID. Got an MRI and it turns out there's a 3mm tumor on the vestibular nerve. I'm waiting on the FAA to give me the greenlight to hold my medical.

I was having some strange sensations and to no ones surprise once I started lifting again they've disappeared. Problem I'm running into now is I lift alone in my garage on the es-1. My employment status is solely up to the FAA at this point so no big purchases til it's sorted out .

If you haven't got the equipment, you can't train with it. Maybe you should join a gym until this is cleared up.

During the Age of House Arrest, I was able to make do with a pair of metal, adjustable sawhorses for safeties. I mounted a length of 2x4 on each to distribute the weight, with stops on each end to prevent the bar from being able to roll off. This was awkward, but I was able to make it work until I was eventually able to get real equipment. Those sawhorses are about $50 each, so you're looking at about $120-$130 all told, if you have or can borrow the tools.

The biggest hazard to this, in my thought, was the potential for the bar slipping between my homemade squat stands and the sawhorses on the bench press. Your stands presumably don't have the give of my 4x4 uprights in cement-filled 5 gal buckets, so that risk should be reduced, but do be careful if you try this. If you're clever, you might be able to have a bolt securing the wood overlay to the squat rack to mitigate this.

That said, Rip's suggestion for joining a gym could well be more cost effective for you, and the risk calculus may well be more appealing to you in your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    During the Age of House Arrest, I was able to make do with a pair of metal, adjustable sawhorses for safeties. I mounted a length of 2x4 on each to distribute the weight, with stops on each end to prevent the bar from being able to roll off. This was awkward, but I was able to make it work until I was eventually able to get real equipment. Those sawhorses are about $50 each, so you're looking at about $120-$130 all told, if you have or can borrow the tools.

The biggest hazard to this, in my thought, was the potential for the bar slipping between my homemade squat stands and the sawhorses on the bench press. Your stands presumably don't have the give of my 4x4 uprights in cement-filled 5 gal buckets, so that risk should be reduced, but do be careful if you try this. If you're clever, you might be able to have a bolt securing the wood overlay to the squat rack to mitigate this.

That said, Rip's suggestion for joining a gym could well be more cost effective for you, and the risk calculus may well be more appealing to you in your situation.
    Get a Rogue R3 rack. I love mine. Money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.T View Post
    Get a Rogue R3 rack. I love mine. Money well spent.
    I am currently at a Rogue SML squat stand with safety bars, which has sufficed, though I would rather have a full-on rack. The SML setup was part of a used set, and it was a steal from a couple who just wanted it out of the basement bad enough that they pushed back on me telling them they were selling it too cheap. My ideal goal involves a bigger garage, a SS rack, and converting the SML rack over to use as a bench station, but I can do what I need with this setup for now.

Like with the homemade phase, one does the best that one can.

Another factor to consider for the OP: Joining a gym for the duration of the current situation doesn't mean you have to do ALL your training there. Even if you squat and bench there, you can still deadlift and press at home.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    I am currently at a Rogue SML squat stand with safety bars, which has sufficed, though I would rather have a full-on rack. The SML setup was part of a used set, and it was a steal from a couple who just wanted it out of the basement bad enough that they pushed back on me telling them they were selling it too cheap. My ideal goal involves a bigger garage, a SS rack, and converting the SML rack over to use as a bench station, but I can do what I need with this setup for now.

Like with the homemade phase, one does the best that one can.

Another factor to consider for the OP: Joining a gym for the duration of the current situation doesn't mean you have to do ALL your training there. Even if you squat and bench there, you can still deadlift and press at home.
    I almost opted for the one you have but decided to just go full rack and glad I did. I got the welded version and it shipped on a pallet. It's such a nice rack though I couldn't be happier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast